Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I used to get all the coupons on my email and don't anymore. I told them at the cash register and they did something to fix that, but it didn't.

I used to get all the coupons on my email and don't anymore. I told them at the cash register and they did something to fix that, but it didn't.

I'm still getting them. In fact an e-mail arrived last evening.

Ron

I just got one of these Tool Carts from HF and it is put together really well.
It is very heavy and needs 2 people to put it together.
I have it sitting right beside my Lathe and have all of my End Mill and Reamers and other tooling in it.
Got it for $107 with coupon in Email. Great buy.

image_20251.jpg

I just got one of these Tool Carts from HF and it is put together really well.
It is very heavy and needs 2 people to put it together.
I have it sitting right beside my Lathe and have all of my End Mill and Reamers and other tooling in it.
Got it for $107 with coupon in Email. Great buy.

image_20251.jpg

I bought the red one that is the big brother to this one... the local store had a damaged (dented) one for $75.00. Took it home and after about 30 minutes of careful straightening... it is fine. The paint is worse for the bending... nothing a can of Rustoleum will not fix.

Generally, my rule is: If it has bearings in it... be suspect... otherwise... give it a chance.

One more thing: Bought a 115 pc cobalt drill set (1/64 to 1/2 by 64th's, numbers from 1 to 60, and letters from A to Z) Reg $129.95, sale $99.95, coupon... total price $79.95. So far, all is good. I am careful, when doing rough drilling (hogging out holes in angle, etc), to use regular sized drills, so they can be replace easily onzy-twozy.

I have their grey 20 ton shop press. the bolt up one. it works very well. I did have to make some nylon shims to glue to the 6 contact points of the ram to take out the play side to side and front to back. But I call it a pass as I caught it on sale for 140.00. (that was what I would have had into building one) So I call that a pass.

As many have said before go on line and check the reviews. Make sure the part numbers are the same as they change all the time. this can bea good guide.
Mark

I purchased a Harbor Freight pallet jack yesterday, on sale for $259 and got another 20% off with a coupon $207 out the door. I used it today it worked great. I had a 800 lb mill arrive, replacement, had to uncrate the new one, re-crate the old one, moving both around my garage with the pallet jack was quite easy.

Over the years I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Harbor Freight, I can say that their "General" tool boxes are as good or better than most on the market and a ton less costly. I own Snap -On, Par-X, and Craftsman boxes also and honestly prefer the ones from HF, Harbor Freight is a good example of why we need Brick & Mortar stores, you need to inspect and touch what you buy because they have some good stuff and some junk too. Some products they sell are marginal in quality, but without them, I don't know if I could afford to have many of the items in my shop. So I for one am glad that they are here.

I am finding myself in need of an inexpensive drywall screw gun. I have about 25 sheets to hang and it might be years before I will do it again. HF has two listed for about. $40, one difference is the amp numbers. Any thoughts on these two, I really don't want to spend what Lowes or Home Depot wants.

I am finding myself in need of an inexpensive drywall screw gun. I have about 25 sheets to hang and it might be years before I will do it again. HF has two listed for about. $40, one difference is the amp numbers. Any thoughts on these two, I really don't want to spend what Lowes or Home Depot wants.

From my construction days decades ago... the key to a drywall screw gun... is the clutch. If it adjusts well and feels substantial... then the gun will probably be fine for a one-time project. The other alternative would be to go 'pawn-shopping' and get a used name brand.

BTW: Get a box of tips... they go fairly fast.

I recently needed a stepper bit and took a chance on a pair from HF. They worked very well in steel plate and a 1/8" steel bar.

They are a PASS.

On the other hand, their packages of bolts, screws, etc, are for the most part a FAIL. I keep some around in case of an emergency. The metal seems way too soft.

Back