Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

During a recent visit I saw the big breaker bars on sale again. I warn you against these , pretty as they are. The round configuration is simply not stiff enough to perform as a breaker. There is flex and the required force to break loose hi torqued or corroded faseners cannot be transmitted. Sears "i beam" breakers are expensive, but they work. Do not be tempted with the looks and price of the HF breaker bars.

eI've always had a healthy skepticism about Harbor Freight products, and consequently always research others' experience, in threads such as this, before I buy.

Ultimately, I'm very satisfied with the all HF purchases I've made:

1. RF-31 table-top milling machine clone. At the time, shipping was free on this 750lb machine, both ways if I didn't like it, once it arrived. Turns out it was a real gem, used it regularly for 15 years then sold it for what I paid, when I upgraded to a used Bridgeport!

2. A.C. winch that I use to stow a snowmobile trailer to the wall in my airplane hangar to save floor space. Been using it for over 10 years. Works reliably.

3. 4ft x 8ft fold-up trailer with 1100 lb capacity. Had two of them. Used the first one many years but it was stored outside and didn't fare well, rusted badly. Sold it and bought another a few years later, store it inside, holding up well. Light enough to pull behind the lawn tractor for yardwork, strong enough to haul full sheets of plywood and transport the lawn tractor, although I wouldn't trust it to the rated 1100lbs. Have a bigger trailer if I need the capacity.

4. Recently bought the full size hydraulic motorcycle lift table with 1000 lb capacity. Researched heavily on the web and learned all the complaints prior to purchase. Decided I could either fix or live with shortcomings. Was plasantly surprised that all the complaints I'd read about on the web had been fixed! I think the Harbor Freight marketing people read forums like this. It's rock solid and makes it a pleasure to work on heavy things at waist height instead of on the floor. This table is a real gem, particularly for the $295 I paid (with coupon).

5. Recently bought one of their ball bearing 16-drawer red tool boxes from recommendations on forums like this. This box is very high quality, certainly noticably better than my Craftsman ball-bearing boxes. Paid $269 (coupon and floor model). Very pleased.

6. Recently took a gamble on one of their 4x6 horizontal bandsaws having read all the web
complaints. The damn thing has been working flawlessly, cutting perfectly square right out of the box with the stock blade. Paid $199 (with sales coupon). No misgivings that the blade probably won't last long. Glad I bought it.

7. Recently wanted to construct a welding booth. Priced out fabricating a structure from Unistrut and welding blankets. The HF heavy duty scaffold was cheaper and it was basically ready to rock right out of the box. I adjusted the platform all the way to the top to form the "roof", hung the same welding blankets around the perimeter. Makes a nice welding booth. When I don't need the booth anymore I'll have an adjustable scaffold/bench/shelving unit instead of a pile of cut Unistrut sticks!

Not kidding myself that I won't get a "stinker" from HF someday, but I always read threads like this before any purchase and have never been dissappointed yet with HF purchases yet.

only thing machinist wise I have is the dial indicators I use them a lot at work and when they give up I break out a new one. the oil and dirt in my work environment is tough on them. but they seem to do ok by me thus far

I first found HF 30 years ago while living in CA up in Camarillo. I was a machine tool repair guy and their ball nose allen wrenches were the bomb. I've always bought things there with the full understanding of what I was getting but back in those days, I needed specialty tools for my job and keeping my car running and you simply couldn't beat them. But since then, the quality and warranty have only gotten better and better, so I'm a huge fan. I even use their brazed cutting tools in my lathe and mill. Again, not the best stuff in the world - but good enough for most of what I do.

Harbor Freight 3 in 1 battery jumper - PASS This little $35 unit has been riding around in the back of my SUV for the last 8 months. My battery decided to go bad last night, I had the kids in the car and was able to jump it first try. I had to use it again this morning and a third time after I stopped at Checker to have them run a test on it. This was all on one charge, that has lasted for 8 months. It's a keeper!

I have bought a bunch of stuff from them, I use to have my father in law pick stuff up from the store in CA and send it to me. I knew it was not the best but it was what I could afford at the time and normally only needed it for a couple of uses. I still pick up some stuff there with the expectations that it may no last or it may. I have a heavy duty 1/2 inch drill that I bought to mix some thin set when doing my floor, It lasted just about as long as it took me to do 2 bags self leveler, and 2 bags of thin set. But was able to take it apart and repair it, and it is still around. I have one of their welding helmet and it works great even after about 5 years. Had a sander that lasted just long enough to do the body work on a car then died. Had a nail gun that lasted just long enough to do a shed, but then have one of the multi tools that vibrates and it has done more than expected. As you can tell I use them a lot but I don't expect much from them, figure they are one use tools in most cases then get surprised if they last longer.

I agree with kvt, if I was using them professionally I'd by high quality tools, but for a hobby user most things work pretty well. I to buy the $10 grinders and get what life I can out of them, it seems that the quality is getting better. My orange one died and one of the blue ones died but one blue one is still working and the black ones I have are still working after about 4 years. I have one with a cut off wheel, one with a grinding wheel, and one with a wire wheel all plugged into a power strip so I grab which ever one I need at the time. I have several large items that have worked well also, the horizontal metal band saw still working after 7 years of occasional use. The 14" metal chop saw just lost the switch after 5 years that should be an easy fix. I have a 12 ton floor mounted press that comes in very handy at times. I bought a 160 amp wire feed welder still working great after 7 years. A self darkening welding helmet after 7 years is still going strong. I have several air tools most of which have survived several years, the 1/2 drive impact is running ok after 9 years, a little problem with the direction switch but with a little observation of the switch position it work fine. Several Halogen lights that only need bulb replace periodically. I only live a few miles from the store so can go look at the hand tools to see if they are durable or not. Hope this helped I don't have item numbers sorry.

I've gotten Harbor Freight tools that have been pretty good. My mini-lathe and mini mill were so inexpensive I couldn't resist. I think with sale and 20% coupon I gave less than $300 for each and they've both performed very well for what they are and with a few upgrades. Some of their wrenches have been decent.

I have a couple of their base toolboxes that are first rate. Good heavy strong boxes rated for a ton and half of tools, also picked up for a bargain on sale and with the 20% coupon before they quit honoring the coupon on toolboxes. Flat free wheel barrow wheels are good and half the cost anywhere else. Also, a couple of aluminum floor jacks have been great.

But, the 20 ton shop press I got from them was a piece of junk. It's the sorriest excuse for a tool that I ever seen. First, it wasn't the same unit that was on the display floor or in their web side or catalogs, which has bolted beams and bottom brace and diagonal bracing on the foot. It is a welded piece of crap with the ugliest welds I've ever seen. And, it is crooked. When I let off the jack the thing springs back to its crooked shape and nearly jumps off the floor.

I mentioned this to the manager and he just said that is all they have. I offered to buy the one off the sales floor that fooled me into buying it, but he wouldn't sell it to me. So, beware of their welded shop presses.

I may be able to fix it by cutting it apart and rebuilding it.

Not exactly a tool ... but this latest scam they're running, the "Inside Track Club" looks like it's going to kill all the good coupons :(

I just don't relish flushing $30 down the toilet every year <grump>.

Letter # punches: Pass, but are on the softer side.

Transfer punches: Horrible, too soft for even aluminum. Perfect for woodworking though.

Pencil grinder: Really good, really fast too, Much better than a Dremel, plus with a toolpost mount it doubled as a toolpost grinder. It does get very cold though, the air flowing throw the tool sucks the hear from your hand. ( It's actually not any colder than the air in the tank it's just an effect)

Back