Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I have a pistol grip air die grinder that I just bought and it seems ok. I have had my bandsaw for years and with a few mods and a good bi-metal 14tooth blade it works great.

Blue Flame auto darkening welding helmet #91214:

View attachment 59194

Definite PASS!

It's more comfortable and more sensitive in the adjustments for both reaction time and shade when compared to the cheaper #46092:

View attachment 59196

M

I bought the blue flame helmet last year and just finally tried it. I CAN SEE! I had a really old auto-dark off ebay years ago that was absolutely terrible. After using this one I now realize just how bad it was. I had gone to a fixed shade but still could not really see the puddle or where I was going (MIG and TIG). Now I can see everything and no "flashing" at the start either.

I think my piddly welding efforts are going to be much more enjoyable now.

A coworker bought the second helmet shown. While neither of us have actually used it yet, I do like the fact that it doesn't bump my nose whereas the blue flame will right smack it if I nod it down.

A word of warning on the HF welding helmets -- they vary A LOT. I bought one of the "blue flame" helmets about 3 years ago along with their cheap flux-core welder. I could never see the visualize the weld-pool with that helmet. I always just assumed that it was me, I would shine 500watt shop lights on the work - helped a little, not much though... About 6 months ago I decided to try another helmet, I got another of the HF blue-flames (figured I'd just take it back if I still couldn't see with it). To my very pleasant surprise, I can see with this new helmet just fine. Apparently my first one is biased so far to the dark end that it can't be adjusted light enough to see out of.

The new helmet has a "grinder" setting just below the lightest shade though - be very careful about adjusting the shade with the arc going. It's very easy to turn the knob just a bit too far and click into grinding mode and flash yourself.

Yes I was tickled pink with the helmet, but I have quite a collection of the "misses" on the tools that some folks got "hits" on.

I got the hydraulic crimper with the wrong size dies, the electric impact wrench that weighs a ton and chatters quite loudly but does nothing about actually removing a nut. I have the squeeze ratchet set that gives you one click per squeeze, 2 on occasion. Magnifiers and visors that don't or are distorted. One use battery drills too.

I got some similar type junk from Homier.

I'll watch for the grinder setting thing. My eyes are so bad that the grinder setting is nearly too dark for me to see. That's why I love the helmet - my fixed shade is simply too dark period - I can see the arc and that's it.

Building my steamboat, bought the FEIN vibrating saw tool for $350. A few months later, the FEIN monopoly (probably a patent expired) ended and Dremel had one for $100, and Harbor Freight has them for under $20.
So I bought the HF vibrating saw and used it without mercy in boatbuilding. Plenty of plunge cutting with weird angles in boatbuilding, hard and soft wood, cutting off screw heads occasionally, etc. Burned up one of the HF tools in a year. Not as good as the FEIN, but considering that I can buy about 20 of the HF tools for the price of the FEIN, the HF tool is a very good bargain. I don't worry about dropping it, or forcing it, as they are so inexpensive, and do the job.

I recently purchased their powder coat system after reading good reviews on it. Well it is a PASS. Worked flawlessly right out of the box. Simple set up and easy clean up. Hopefully this will continue to work well and last a while. Only paid around $55.00 with 20% coupon + powder. I also purchased the $13.00 free replacement for a year.

They're definitely hit or miss.

I bought their air nibbler a couple of years ago. Used it maybe a half dozen times before it quit working. Around the same time I bought a drill powered pump, it worked for 10 minutes or so before seizing. Took them both back this weekend (no receipt). I wanted to replace the nibbler and get my money back for the pump, they were willing (after a minor hard time) to replace both but no money back. Not really complaining after a couple of years ago with no receipt. Bought a $25 multlimeter the same day, so far it's working fine. I also have their oxyacetylene welding rig (the one with the tiny bottles in the plastic carrier). It's cheap and the adjustments are touchy, but I have no complaints for the price. One regulator started leaking but they replaced it for free. Their siphon sandblaster is marginal but then again I'm using play sand and most siphon sandblasters are marginal anyway. All in all you get what you pay for, which is not much.

Over the years I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Harbor Freight, I can say that their "General" tool boxes are as good or better than most on the market and a ton less costly. I own Snap -On, Par-X, and Craftsman boxes also and honestly prefer the ones from HF, Harbor Freight is a good example of why we need Brick & Mortar stores, you need to inspect and touch what you buy because they have some good stuff and some junk too. Some products they sell are marginal in quality, but without them, I don't know if I could afford to have many of the items in my shop. So I for one am glad that they are here.

I tend to buy a lot from Harbor Freight. It's hard to beat the cost. Most things I have gotten are good. These are the items that I've had good luck with. The numbers are out of the catalog. I tried to match up the item number with the tools I have
Motorcycle lift #69904, Motorcycle lift #99887, 14" Cutoff saw #91938, 6" Cutoff saw #61204, 3" Electric cutoff saw (not a tool to use forextended periods) #60415, 3" Air cutoff tool #69473, 4 1/2" grinder (x2) #91223, Diesel compression tester #46800 (sold), OBD2 Tester #60693, Heat gun #96289. Also a lot of hand tools.
I'm going Friday to pick up the five drawer tool cart.

Back