Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I got one of these welding cabinet/carts from HF (item# 61705):
image_24024.jpg
I was very pleasantly surprised. The cart is very sturdy and works well. Definitely a PASS.

image_24024.jpg

Harbor Freight 90* corner clamps for woodworking, one passed one failed. Two others have not been used. Just got some drive pin punches and one ton arbor press from HF for "Testing." :lmao:

To sum up HF I would say it's 2/3 the quality at 1/3 the price. Sometimes you just don't need a tool that will work all day long for 40 years.

My transfer punch set has done fine I just use them to make a mark then use a punch

How does Northern Tool compare to HF? Both are about hte same distance for me ( about 70 miles )

Let's see... I have the 4X6 bandsaw, motorcycle jack, mini tire changer, engine hoist and probably some other small stuff. Everything worked to my satisfaction. I get the fliers in the mail each month that are full of specials and coupons. My local store is about an hour away but worth the trip.

I've posted some great things for a great deal at Harbor Freight, I have some things that are just horrible also:

Mechanics Stethoscope - FAIL - doesn't stay on your ears because the metal "spring" doesn't spring" whole thing is cheap and feels like it will come apart any minute. But it does work.

Heavy Duty Chain Breaker - FAIL poor design does not hold the chain like other designs, and just doesn't work well.

Hand pump vacuum brake bleeder - FAIL but can be re-worked to PASS I got it a while ago and just had to use it recently. Would not hold pressure. Took it apart, cleaned it all up. Put a little silicone.... better... was still leaking. Changed the bleeder valve (auto tire type) Now it works great!

8 inch benchtop drill press - FAIL - poor run-out, vibration and cheap stamped metal stand and table bends and flexes. Horrible! Useless dim light, holes are not round - getting cleaner holes with a hand held drill... that's sad. Not sure how it fix it... might be a total waste of money.

Recently I've noticed their prices are getting higher so much that we can find better deals for no-name Chinese tools are other stores like: Menard's, Home Depot, Advance Auto, Wal-Mart. It's too bad. I miss some of the stuff they used to sell like their carbide tool & die grinder, rotary table and other machinist tools. Not sure what market they are going for but I personally do not like the changes. Higher price and worse tool/selection.

Both items below are super deals!! PASS :thumbzup3:

Got a 1ton chain hoist(aka chain fall) for $29 on sale. I've used it several times on loads up to 500, worked great and didn't have to bother someone to help me lift, has already paid for itself plus some in convenience alone. Would never attempt any lift of more than 1000lbs with it, just don't trust it (but I may be wrong, one previous review here said he used to max capacity). I definitely recommend it for saving your back within reasonable weight limits, and it stores in about a 10x10x10" box.

3ton low profile(fits under anything over 2.75") hydraulic floor jack for about $90 on sale(isn't everything?) , great deal, saw them being used at a local tire sales dealer, if it's good for their daily use I figured it's ok for my sporadic use.

Brian

Last edited:
6 Amp Heavy Duty Variable Speed Portable Band Saw Chicago Electric Power Tools - item#47840 Pass

I purchased this a couple of months ago when on sale for $59.00 US. I used a 25% off coupon for a final cost of $44.00. The first thing I did was remove the motor and clean out the old dried grease. I packed it with moly-grease. Next I replaced the kung foo blade with a Lenox 24 TPI bi-metal blade. My son then cut a 1.125" 304 stainless tube in less than a minute. The cut was smooth and straight. I then cut a piece of 1" 4130 rod with the same results. It sure has saved me a bunch of time and muscle versus a hand held hack saw. I feel that this is a very good value.

Back