Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

.........................I have a tendency to put things down and forget where I left them. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

That makes me feel better...now I know I'm not the only one to do that! :nuts:

M

Item Numbers would be really good on this thread. Many times a sales flyer will list 2, 3 or even 4 item numbers for the same "part" and they are not even really close to the same. Older item numbers get dropped entirely off the Harbor Freight site also and the new replacements are often either much better or much worse, so generic descriptions don't mean a whole lot.

I liked the 94822 500 LB Hydraulic Lift Table so well I just bought another about 2 weeks ago. Now it's not even shown on the site. They have a 60730 instead, which has a handle with a bend and it folds down. The handle bend wouldn't be much of an issue, but I added a second stage to my first table to double the lift height and it is a dangerous finger hazard on mine since the table goes above the handle and my fingers are "right there." I also changed the leverage on the pump pedal to drop the 30 strokes to about 17 for full lift. Whoops, that first stroke is now about 10" and pretty much means it can barely lift its own weight. I usually use it as a variable height work table and it is pretty much my favorite tool of all.

Has anyone else noticed the trend away from "Central" whatever to "Pittsburgh" whatever in the brand names?

I also changed the leverage on the pump pedal to drop the 30 strokes to about 17 for full lift. Whoops, that first stroke is now about 10" and pretty much means it can barely lift its own weight.

Whoops, just checked and it only moves 7" first stroke but only takes slightly more than 8 strokes to make 49" max.

HF tube roller, as is common with many of their tools, some mods and it works pretty good.
I also purchased a tile cutter in the spring, I have been doing bathroom, kitchen remodels, as well as plain flooring jobs. Works very well, not something I would trust if this was all I do but it works very well out of the box on ceramic and porcelain tiles... not enough overhead for bricks unfortunately.
The tube roller has made outdoor furniture, gating, fencing and railing... keeps pumping out 4130 .083 tubing with no real issues.

Rich

This is a great thread! It makes me realize how much HarborFreight stuff I have in the garage.

8x12 bench lathe #44859- awesome! I bought this when it was $499, Today it is on sale at $799 from $999. I have done all sorts of projects on this lathe, and have never had a problem.

4x6 band saw #93762- fairly good. I need to do a little more alignment work on it, but it certainly beats a hacksaw! To be fair, I opened up the gearbox when I first got it, and found clean oil with no debris.

Ulrasonic cleaner #95563- fairly good. I especially like the heater option.

6" calipers- Mine have a black scale rather than the white scale on #47257- awesome. They tend to start blinking low battery half the time, but the overall battery life seems to be OK. I have never had a problem with accuracy or repeatability.

5" cross slide vise #32996- wish it were better. It doesn't always stay where I put it, and the bottom of the fixed jaw is radiused, which prohibits using parallels.

Rotary tool #97626- under powered.

Vibrating sander- couldn't find the model number online. Complete garbage! It tore itself up within the first two hours of use. I boughht a DeWalt palm sander and have absolutely loved it!

Does anyone know anything about the HF Plasma Cutter - it is supposed to be 40 Amps. I am hesitant to purchase one because they never have the disposables in stock. I am a hobbyist and won't use it day after day, but would like to cut 1/2 inch steel as the plate is too big to put on the 4 X 6 Band Saw. Could anyone take some time that has some experience with it to comment. Many thanks!

I don't know that particular one but it appears to be at it's maximum capacity. Although I am all for acquiring more tools, if you don't use it that much, you can get a lot of stuff cut at a welding shop for $600. I keep thinking about getting one myself but I just know I wouldn't get enough use to justify the expense (and having to get a compressor as well)

There circular saw grinder is a waste of time buying IMHO. Sloppy guides, low flexibility & no repeatability on grinds.
Just my 2 cents worth but what do I know:jester:

There circular saw grinder is a waste of time buying IMHO. Sloppy guides, low flexibility & no repeatability on grinds.
Just my 2 cents worth but what do I know:jester:

While it may be no good for saw blades, one member here has turned it into an effective toolpost grinder.

M

I once bought a HF planetary drive torque multiplier for wheel lug nuts just to keep under the back seat of my pickup for roadside emergencies. It's good thing I decided to try it out when I got home. The 1/2" drive snapped off at the socket on the very first lug nut! It looked like the drive was made of cast metal. - Colossal fail!
I brought it back to the store and they offered an exchange, but I took a refund. I didn't want to make another trip to return a second one. On the other hand, some of my other HF purchases are passes.
#34552 small tire changer is a pass. I have used it to change tires on my kubota bx tractor and on my classic mini cooper (it has 10" wheels).
The static wheel balancer does a passable job (after fine tuning it).
I have used the #67224 6pc. rotary saw blade set to cut screw slots in CRS and the blade used is still sharp, so they get a pass.
The snap gauges are ok (they need a little massaging).
The HF transfer punches also pass except for the cheap plastic storage holder, but I have only used them on aluminum so far.
HF acid brushes and chip brushes are the best bang for the buck.
I bought the #94447 6pc. "technical" measuring set just for the inside and outside calipers and they are ok, but the scales and the slide caliper are junk.
The HSS drill bits haven't unwound on me yet and they are reasonably sharp.
HSS tool blanks pass (What can you say bad about a single piece of steel).
At only $20, I am actually quite pleased with the P37772 digital multimeter.
I have bought other small tools and items, but never any power tools.

I share the opinion that if an item has no motor or not too many moving parts, you might find a good deal at Harbor Freight.

jj

If you don't have high expectations, you won't be too disappointed.

Back