Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I would give them a pass. I have a 9x20 lathe(red) that is close to 5 yrs old. cost me $539 on sale and 20% coupon. I inspected it, adjusted the lead screw alignment and have been using it heavily for mostly "quick and dirty jobs" I have done a lot of threading using a handwheel. It's accurate and makes a smooth cut. I only bolted down the headstock. The bolt in the tailstock is fastened loosely. It does'nt cut a taper. Overall the lathe has been a winner. I recently sold a Grizzly 9x20. It was ok but imo the Hf is better. This summer the headstock bearings tightened. I replaced them with SKF bearings. The original bearings we still ok. I leave my larger lathes for the more challenging jobs.

I also have a set of split point cobolt drills including number and letter drills. This has turned out to be the best set I have--better than the US set I have had for 30 yrs. This set now costs about $125 and imo is a good buy. I got it on sale for $90.

I have lots of other smaller tools. Most have been good. I think that if you buy the best tool that HF sells of that type you are ok. I stay away from the "bargain priced" items.
Joe Smith

I have the 16 speed floor model drill press it has been dooing me well for about 10 years now. I have also had good luck with there air tools I have the 2 3/8 drills 2 die grinders 1/2" and 3/8" and 1/4" air ratchets paid $10.00 each on sale. Also hahe 3/8 and 1/2" impact wrench and the body saw,4" grinder ,air fileand mini sander. use them all daliy at my job for 5 years now. Thay al were cheap and just work when I need them.

Good or bad, we all buy stuff at Harbor Freight. Sometimes the experience is good, sometimes not. I generally tend to go by the "If it has more than one moving part, don't buy it at Harbor Freight" rule, but sometimes I can't resist the temptation. This post is a place to share your experiences with a specific product and give it a PASS! or a FAIL!, so others will know whether they should shell out their hard earned cash or just run away. Here are the rules:

1) If something doesn't fit when you are assembling the product, it's an automatic FAIL!

2) If the product doesn't work as advertized, it's an automatic FAIL!

3) If the product breaks after only a few uses, it's an automatic FAIL!

4) Everything else is a PASS.

I'll start it out. Have fun...

[h=1]7" Variable Speed Polisher/Sander # 92623[/h]image_11802.jpg

FAIL!...FAIL!

I had to file the handle to get it to fit the buffer and once I got it together, it makes so much gear noise I have to wear ear protection when using it.

On the other hand, I bought a set of cast iron stakes from Harbor Freight that are used to hammer form sheet metal, and they work just fine. One is rounded and the other is teardrop shaped. Note: No moving parts ;).

PASS!

Tom

image_11802.jpg

My two cents: HF 4 inch angle grinder (orange and silver one) : Pass, the Pink Rabbit With a Drum of inexpensive power tools. Needs a decent
disk, the one that comes on it is for shame.

HF sanding belts for 1x30" belt grinder: FAIL, they come apart in 30 seconds or less

HF Heavy Duty power planer (hand power tool) PASS, much better than the one I owned previously from, er, a famous place where America used to shop. (OK, that's woodworking, but still...)

HF 12-ton shop press, Pass, it just does what it is supposed to do, within it's range.

HF el-cheapo pin punch set, FAIL, so brittle one snapped off while gently tapping out a 1/8" pin in a link chain. Should have known better.

HF portable bandsaw (Milwaukee hand-held tool copy) PASS, works great if you put a decent blade on it. Milwaukee blades work fine.

HF $7 1-inch dial indicator (impulse purchase, my bad) FAIL, plastic part inside broke in less than a month. Made a new part out of aluminum and now it works ok, to be fair.

HF $50 zoom spotting scope, FAIL, what did I expect for $50? Adequate at one zoom setting in the middle of the range but every where else it's pretty cheesy.:nono:

Ok, why do I have all this HF stuff? The retail store is less than a mile from my house and I get discount coupons in every magazine and in the junk mail all the time. I'm weak, I'm a toolaholic, I can't help myself....:biggrin:

Bougt one of the $9.99 gravity fed paint guns to shoot primer and stuff through so I didn't have to clog up my $500.00 SATA's. Guess what, that el cheapo shoots great. Yeah, maybe it won't break up high metallics and atomize pearl as well as my expensive guns but for most basecoats, clears, and solids, I have NO problems using it. In fact, I'm probably going to take a coupon and get another one. For $10.00. when it screws up I COULD just throw it away.

Bougt one of the $9.99 gravity fed paint guns to shoot primer and stuff through so I didn't have to clog up my $500.00 SATA's. Guess what, that el cheapo shoots great. Yeah, maybe it won't break up high metallics and atomize pearl as well as my expensive guns but for most basecoats, clears, and solids, I have NO problems using it. In fact, I'm probably going to take a coupon and get another one. For $10.00. when it screws up I COULD just throw it away.

I was thinking of doing the same thing myself. I ended up with some primer in the clear on my last paint job and it really made my day. It's good to hear that the el cheapo spray guns will actually spray primer.

Tom

Very interesting... I have the same Polisher/Sander and it went together fine, works well, and has held up well. I guess HF quality is hit or miss for a given item.

My 4X6 bandsaw from them, however, was a disaster. The leadscrew was bent, the gearbox failed within minutes (it was assembled wrong - oil seal between the inner and outer bearings and subject to preload), rough castings caused the vise jaw to bind, crooked cuts, etc. All was fixable and she works like a dream now, but it took a weekend of work to get it right.

John

Good or bad, we all buy stuff at Harbor Freight. Sometimes the experience is good, sometimes not. I generally tend to go by the "If it has more than one moving part, don't buy it at Harbor Freight" rule, but sometimes I can't resist the temptation. This post is a place to share your experiences with a specific product and give it a PASS! or a FAIL!, so others will know whether they should shell out their hard earned cash or just run away. Here are the rules:

1) If something doesn't fit when you are assembling the product, it's an automatic FAIL!

2) If the product doesn't work as advertized, it's an automatic FAIL!

3) If the product breaks after only a few uses, it's an automatic FAIL!

4) Everything else is a PASS.

I'll start it out. Have fun...

7" Variable Speed Polisher/Sander # 92623

View attachment 31913

FAIL!...FAIL!

I had to file the handle to get it to fit the buffer and once I got it together, it makes so much gear noise I have to wear ear protection when using it.

On the other hand, I bought a set of cast iron stakes from Harbor Freight that are used to hammer form sheet metal, and they work just fine. One is rounded and the other is teardrop shaped. Note: No moving parts ;).

PASS!

Tom

HF tool chest Pass I have the whole set now and it is alot stronger than my Craftsman for alot less. Best bang for the buck. I also have alot of there 10.00 airtolls and thay are all PASS . There 2 gun HVLP set also PASS

IMG_0028.JPG

Ive got a few things from there
Win- 4 and 4.5 inch angle grinders
Win- die grinder
Win- cheap Air fittings with color so I can tell my tools at a glance
Win- belt sander, had the thing for like ten years and I can't kill it
Win- chainsaw grinder
Loser- 18 volt drill about 5 years ago, battery died
Win- dead blow hammer, half the cost of elsewhere and can't be destroyed so far
Win- about 40 bar clamps that cost me less than 4 would have at rockler
Not sure yet- 4x6 band saw. Seems good but haven't used it much yet
Win- father in laws 90amp gas less mig welder