Rate the Harbor Freight Tools Thread- Pass or Fail?

I have one that I use constantly for gunsmith work. It works well for what I paid for it but the biggest drawback is motor is weak and easy to stall. I really wish there was something between this and a $300 1" belt sander.

Just bought a new 4 x 6 bandsaw. My enco is about 12 years old. I need a power head for a project and figure the bs will do. Impressed with the saw. Will sacrifice the old enco and keep the HF.
Dave

Does any body have one of these? 1 in. x 30 in. Belt Sander Central-Machinery - item#2485.

View attachment 61356

Paul

I have one. It is a nice little sander. I do wish I had bought the one with the little disk sander on the side. The belts are pretty easy to find and cheap. Have not had good luck getting silicon carbide belts though. I have also seen leather belts for stropping.

This is my go-to machine for sharpening HSS bits.

I have a lot of H.F. tools. Good ones first:
7 inch wide by 44 Jointer 1 hp motor
Sand Blast Cabinet
30 Gal Air compressor 1.5 HP
AIR Tools: Impact Wrench, Chisel, needle scaler, Nailers, 18 ga., 16 ga., Framing, & Stapler.
(2) Paint Spray Guns.
Impact sockets
Wrenches Screw drivers etc.
Bar and Pipe Clamps for wood working
1.5 ton Car Jack
Tarps
Band Saw blades Wood & Metal
Drill Index full: Letter, Number & Fractional HSS bits
Unibit Knock offs
Welding accessories
Face Shields
Sanding Belts and Abrasive Paper

Items that FAILED:
Torx drivers
Circle Saw Blades Carbide
Saw Sharpener
I have replaced Gaskets on some of the Air Nailers.
Automatic Condensate Dump for Air Compressor.

My shop is pretty much a shrine to Harbor Freight. I usually burn through a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder every year. That should slow down now that I have some more real tools, and can stop using them for everything. One thing I have noticed is that they need to slow down the R&D folk. They had the thing just right, then started messing around with things like the switch location on the Chicago one. I like the Chicago Pro angle grinder with the paddle switch now. Other than the grinders, I have the multi-function tool, 12 ton hyd press, cordless drills, and too many other little knick-knacks to list. In fact, was there today, bought the chain saw on a stick (8' electric pole saw). As long as you keep in perspective that you get what you pay for, they won't let you down.

Yesterday I bought a HF 18 volt impact and an extra battery. The drill was marked down to 117.99 from 139.99 and I had a coupon for the extra battery which was 14.99 discounted from 24.99. It's a very well made tool from outward appearances and the way it feels in your hand...Winter is coming, changing a flat tire in the snow with a tire iron is no fun. Because it had a lot of positive comments I felt OK about buying it. http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-cordless-impact-wrench-67845.html

I hope you don't get disappointed I have the 3/8" and the 1/2" haven't seen them lately but there here some place.

I didn't think they cost that much, I think I paided around $29.00 on sale some years back. I did use them working on my truck and that was a few years ago.

Paul

Yesterday I bought a HF 18 volt impact and an extra battery. The drill was marked down to 117.99 from 139.99 and I had a coupon for the extra battery which was 14.99 discounted from 24.99. It's a very well made tool from outward appearances and the way it feels in your hand...Winter is coming, changing a flat tire in the snow with a tire iron is no fun. Because it had a lot of positive comments I felt OK about buying it. http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-cordless-impact-wrench-67845.html

Years ago I bought some HF air tools 1/2 impact was junk, 3/8 air ratchet was junk, air chisel had good power but was short lived with the barrel ripping threads out of the handle. Don't know about today but back then if you used them professionally they came without warranty. Bought a few electric hand tools like drills and angle grinder that had short lives. Love the 6 in 1 screwdriver with the flip over bits but screwdriver sets will be craftsman or better in the future along with wrenches. Bought a 14" metal chop saw from them 20 years ago that I've used not more than once a year. Sounds like a rhinoceros giving birth. Recently bought their chain saw sharpener that I like so far. We'll see if it lasts. Couldn't find another brand of sharpener.

I use tools hard, most of my life making living with them and believe you get what you pay for. Been collecting Snap-On, Makita, Porter Cable and others for more than 35 years and have never been disappointed by a quality tool. With a young family back then cheap won out for a time. HF on the other hand has convinced me to spend more up front and skip the possible headaches.

Harbor fright bender. Its okay. Throw away the ring spaces, replace with silver 1/4 flat man spacers!

Use mill to anchor it.

Think it was $80 with $10 coupon.

Youtube has a video of how to use flat bar bender, instructions are wrong hf manual.

Another excellent demo of great bender, youtube, Keith Fenner, turn wright machine works, title...Knockers.

As for those 1/2 impact sockets, black ones, they are junk, but metal is easily turned, welded, that is
what I use them for.

Charl

bendera.jpg benderb.jpg parts.jpg

I hope you don't get disappointed I have the 3/8" and the 1/2" haven't seen them lately but there here some place.

I didn't think they cost that much, I think I paided around $29.00 on sale some years back. I did use them working on my truck and that was a few years ago.

Paul

Hi Paul:)) I'm only going to use it for changing tires when I'm away from the air compressor.. Put a tire on tonight with it and it ran fine. I looked at the Milwaukee and IR cordless impacts and the were $330 and more, an extra battery was $80 and higher, that's way out of my league. It seems like a well built tool, I know HF changed models and batteries, this is the newer one with 30 more ft lbs of torque.

If I used one to make a living cost wouldn't be a factor and I would be running down HF too I suppose...... but I'm just a poor boy trying to get by like most....... if it weren't for the Chinese I wouldn't have as many toys and that's a fact. :thumbsup:

Back