Rat Rod Ricipe

eugene13

Registered
Registered
What do you get when you mix a 1968 4.2 liter Jaguar engine with a 1967 Jaguar independent rear end, add to a 20 something year old home made frame, stir in an aftermarket front end and radiator, (that's my neighbor Bill, it's his car) and top it off with a 1928 Model T Roadster body? The mock-up is done, all the measurements are taken and it's time to start on the motor mounts.

010.JPG

013.JPG

012.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

Remember the Johnny Cash song, "One Piece at a Time"?

"When we went to put in the bolts, all the holes was gone."

Using the Jag rear and engine is certainly a different, but interesting, approach. Most rat rods are put together with American made parts. I like it!

Tom S.

That, sir has all the makings of one fine mean looking machine. Keep the pictures a coming. I like it.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Nice, I have a project in the back of my mind reminiscent of the old pre war 4 cyl rods using an old A series motor and drivetrain.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Using the Jag rear and engine is certainly a different, but interesting, approach. Most rat rods are put together with American made parts. I like it!

Tom S.
Thanks Tom, t001.JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG he true soul of a rat rod is a car put together with whatever you have, Bill collects Jaguar (pronounced jag- you-are if you're British) automobiles and has had these parts for a long time. The rear end came from a stolen XKE that was wrecked on the Native American Reservation south of here, he had the frame hanging in his garage for 15 years, the car will tell a story... but I digress. Here's a picture of the motor mounts, KISS, the upper motor mount before and after me and my die grinder, and installed. I love working with this old British Iron, they measure in inches.

003.JPG

004.JPG

Thanks Tom, tView attachment 141451 View attachment 141451 View attachment 141453 he true soul of a rat rod is a car put together with whatever you have, Bill collects Jaguar (pronounced jag- you-are if you're British) automobiles and has had these parts for a long time. The rear end came from a stolen XKE that was wrecked on the Native American Reservation south of here, he had the frame hanging in his garage for 15 years, the car will tell a story... but I digress. Here's a picture of the motor mounts, KISS, the upper motor mount before and after me and my die grinder, and installed. I love working with this old British Iron, they measure in inches.

I love old cars! Have a couple myself. I hear what you are saying about using what you have. It's just that most people have a junked out Chevy, or Ford, or Dodge in their backyard. Nice job on the motor mounts. They look good.

Tom S.

"they measure in inches"

Yeah, and then they use Whitworth
Go figure

This is the Mid-mount, Bill wanted to use the OEM isolater so I had to build an adapter, I'm basically putting a round peg in a square hole. This replaces a similar structure in the cowl of all Jags, it looks "klunky" but form follows function, the second picture is bending the part, we slipped the adapter on before making the second bend, now it's up on the jig for some surgery.

012.JPG

009.JPG

017.JPG

I would like to apologise to the people who responded to my thread, that I failed to reply, I'm not being rude, I'm new to the internet forum thing and I don't know the etiquette. To woodsman; I like Johnny cash, I just don't know much about his music, and my shop is filling up with Bill's stuff, one piece at a time. To Chuck the grumpy guy; more pics coming, and in all my working life I've never run into anything with Whitworth threads, I have run int BSSP, British Standard Straight Pipe, and it's always caused me a headache, usually in the form of a lost fill or drain plug on a European gear reducer. To LsSix; My ratrod is powered by a 4 cylinder Ford Pinto motor,size really dosn't matter as long as it's fun. To Tom; thanks for the compliment, I've alwasys tried to keep the things as simple as possible, just like me.

Back