Rare find

westsailpat

Registered
Registered
Last edited by a moderator:
wa5cab will know the answer to your question. Robert seems to know everything about the craftsman lathes.
if he doesn't respond to this thread, i'm sure you could send him a PM.

I am 95% sure that the 101.07301 and the 612 and 618 will use the same bench and countershaft mounting on it. The early Atlas catalogs beginning with at least No. 31 say that 6" machines earlier than Serial Number 1975 require an M6-810 mounting plate for the countershaft bracket. No. 31 was as best I can figure out printed in 1938. and it has that note. And the photo of the 6" lathe shows the short countershaft bracket M6-20A. This is the same one that was always used on the 101.07301. In 1940, the countershaft bracket on the 618 changed to M6-20B and remained unchanged through 1972. M6-20A and M6-20B imply the existence of an M6-20. The 618 came out in 1937 and originally used the M6-20. So I'm assuming that the first 1974 612's and 618's are the ones referred to in the early catalogs. If someone with a 101.07301 were to buy the legs and find that the short M6-20A does fit, that would clench it.

Last edited:
Hello - I have an antique M6-20B 101.21400 Craftsman lathe in NJ. Anyone have idea of how/where to sell? Thanks for advice

Attachments

• 21A44741-F6A1-4AB7-95AE-00472294B306.jpeg
    21A44741-F6A1-4AB7-95AE-00472294B306.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
Three things -

1. It is a Craftsman 101.21400. M6-20B is the Countershaft Bracket. The 101.21400 is the same except for Model Number and badges as the Atlas 618. The 101.21400 was in production from 1957 until 1972.

2. Actual selling of equipment and parts is not allowed in any of the discussion Fora (see the Site Rules). It is restricted to the For Sale area which will be found at the bottom of the list of Fora. For Sale - Complete Machines would probably be the appropriate one to list the lathe in.

3. Although any site member can read/browse/buy in the For Sale area, actually listing something for sale requires that the Lister be at least a Gold ($25/year) donor. The reason being that the site costs real money each month just to stay open. And none of the staff (that I know of) happens to be a millionaire philanthropist. This is all explained in the Site Rules.

The other site that you could also look into would be your local Craig's List.

Three things -

1. It is a Craftsman 101.21400. M6-20B is the Countershaft Bracket. The 101.21400 is the same except for Model Number and badges as the Atlas 618. The 101.21400 was in production from 1957 until 1972.

2. Actual selling of equipment and parts is not allowed in any of the discussion Fora (see the Site Rules). It is restricted to the For Sale area which will be found at the bottom of the list of Fora. For Sale - Complete Machines would probably be the appropriate one to list the lathe in.

3. Although any site member can read/browse/buy in the For Sale area, actually listing something for sale requires that the Lister be at least a Gold ($25/year) donor. The reason being that the site costs real money each month just to stay open. And none of the staff (that I know of) happens to be a millionaire philanthropist. This is all explained in the Site Rules.

The other site that you could also look into would be your local Craig's List.
thanks for you reply and for the very helpful information - I found this specific page when I did a google search of "Craftsman M6-20B." it took me straight here so I didn't notice the rules. my apologies. Can you tell me what is the probability of selling and what guesstimated value it might have?

OK.

On the downside, it does not appear that the lathe has been used in the past 50 odd years. The bed surfaces have not been oiled in at least that length of time. My guess is that someone who needed some parts to complete another 101.21400 or Atlas 618 might be willing to give about $100 for it complete.

Parts obviously missing from the photograph are the tailstock ram, at least part of the ram locking mechanism, the set of three outside jaws and the chuck key for the chuck, and about a dozen additional change gears. Also the tool post, two 1MT Dead Centers and a 2MT to 1MT adapter. I can't tell much about the stand that is is bolted to.

As I wrote earlier, the $25 donation would allow you to list it in the For Sale area but I cannot actually give you any odds on what sort of response an ad there would draw. The donation would also give you access to our Downloads section where you would find PDF scans of the original owners and parts manual.

Before listing it for sale as a nearly complete lathe, you will have to partially disassemble, clean and oil it. If you decide to do that, you should also search for the missing parts, using the parts manual for reference.

OK.

On the downside, it does not appear that the lathe has been used in the past 50 odd years. The bed surfaces have not been oiled in at least that length of time. My guess is that someone who needed some parts to complete another 101.21400 or Atlas 618 might be willing to give about $100 for it complete.

Parts obviously missing from the photograph are the tailstock ram, at least part of the ram locking mechanism, the set of three outside jaws and the chuck key for the chuck, and about a dozen additional change gears. Also the tool post, two 1MT Dead Centers and a 2MT to 1MT adapter. I can't tell much about the stand that is is bolted to.

As I wrote earlier, the $25 donation would allow you to list it in the For Sale area but I cannot actually give you any odds on what sort of response an ad there would draw. The donation would also give you access to our Downloads section where you would find PDF scans of the original owners and parts manual.

Before listing it for sale as a nearly complete lathe, you will have to partially disassemble, clean and oil it. If you decide to do that, you should also search for the missing parts, using the parts manual for reference.
I can't thank you enough. You're right in that it hasn't been touched for a few decades. I'd love to sell it as is rather than sending to a dump, must be local pickup.

OK. Local Pickup only would tend to favor Craig's List.

Back