Rapid Original Type A Toolpost

LucknowKen

Registered
Registered
Rapid Original toolpost that was missing some parts.
The company is still making the Original and other toolposts.
Apparently the parts were even in stock.
Placing an order in Italian had its difficulties:
I paid way too much for the wrench at the bottom of the picture.
Way too much.
lk

Rapid Original Parts.JPG Type-A Toolpost.JPG GFB and Rapid Original.JPG

Hi Ken, looks pretty nice.
I looked them up on the net. They are pricey! I saw a Rapid tool holder 4 sale on Kijiji Toronto for $490.00 with two wrenches.
Cheers
Martin W

Adding these photos for a member by request.
Shop made through bolt and Tplate.

Attachments

• RapidPost.JPG
    RapidPost.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 15
  • RapidThroughBolt.JPG
    RapidThroughBolt.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 15
  • ToolPostMount.JPG
    ToolPostMount.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 14
That is a copy of the Dickson style post. The only difference is that some holders have too thick of a upper flange on the holder so they don't lock in tight. Assuming that is exactly the same as an Algra Rapidue. I gorund the top of the adjuster flange on the Dickson holders to work with the Rapidue so that is an option if you find some used ones. I have a post and a bunch of holders I don't use since I went Multifix but the Algra quality is similar and very good. Dave

I have recently purchased a Rapid Dickson Tool post and 4 holders. I'm moving away from Aloris and retooling for Dickson. It might seem silly, so one day I'll do up a video about why.

too thick of a upper flange on the holder so they don't lock in tight
I'll have to keep an eye on that, especially when I make new holders.

@LucknowKen What size did you buy? (distance between vees, or overall width/height) Just curious, yours seems a little smaller than mine, but scale is hard to guess from photos.

Last edited:
@LucknowKen What size did you buy? (distance between vees, or overall width/height) Just curious, yours seems a little smaller than mine, but scale is hard to guess from photos.
The tool post is a Rapid Original Type A.
It is 2 5/16" high and measures 2 11/16 between the Vs
The attached pdf (in Italian) has more accurate measurements (in metric)
From Tony's site about the Dickson

Attachments

• Torrette-portautensili-GFB-UNIVERSAL-e-RAPID-ORIGINAL.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Mine is over 4" between the vees. I'll measure it later and give you and update on teh size I ended up with.

I’m in the process of making my own toolpost. I’m copying the one at work. Rapid original type A. I’ve already made a bunch of tool bit holders but now what to have the post. When measuring up it’s hard to find an exact measurement on the vee’s. I’ve come up with 2.280” as a measurement. When measuring the tool post I came up with the same measurement, 2.280” so that’s what I’m going with since the holders I made fit original tool post just fine.

Attachments

• 07ABE8DC-F6B9-44CB-B9C8-5517F9D52B51.jpeg
    07ABE8DC-F6B9-44CB-B9C8-5517F9D52B51.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 08310FA6-DD4D-472B-AB19-817BD7AE7AC5.jpeg
    08310FA6-DD4D-472B-AB19-817BD7AE7AC5.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DE888794-E5FE-4B54-A264-69B7875B0763.jpeg
    DE888794-E5FE-4B54-A264-69B7875B0763.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2A544AF4-6A8B-4353-B89D-811A711515FE.jpeg
    2A544AF4-6A8B-4353-B89D-811A711515FE.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 7
I came up with the same measurement, 2.280”
-- did you measure using 2 dowel pins and subtract the diameter?

-- my dovetails are exactly 250mm between the centre of the veeways. All Rapid tool holders are produced in metric to an exact dimension. Your actual dimension might well be 58mm, for instance

There is a British version of Dixon tool holders that (i believe) are 2.75" between dovetails - memory is fuzzy. but Rapid, being Italian, has used the metric system for over 70 years. My friend has the Rapid in the next size smaller than mine, which is 190mm between centres, but we don't know if that was a popular size, or not.

@Toolmantoo -- A very worthy project. A friend of mine made a Dixon tool post to fit 10 holders he got cheap at an auction. Quite a bit bigger than yours, it was 275 mm between veeways...

Last edited:
I’m in the process of making my own toolpost. I’m copying the one at work. Rapid original type A. I’ve already made a bunch of tool bit holders but now what to have the post. When measuring up it’s hard to find an exact measurement on the vee’s. I’ve come up with 2.280” as a measurement. When measuring the tool post I came up with the same measurement, 2.280” so that’s what I’m going with since the holders I made fit original tool post just fine.

I have the Dickson in this size S2 for brother's Colchester Master 2500, and also in S1 for my chipmaster lathe.

I know two fellow Master 2500 owners in SW Ontario who need some holders if anyone comes across or is making a bunch more.

I'm drafting an S1 model now that may get tweaked but this is what I have so far based on using several sources and my own holders. The S2 size point to point dimension is 90 mm rather than 68. The Italian M holders are only 68 mm wide in total so they're not S1 compatible. Maybe the Ar/Ap size is the same?

1679275024353.png

My brother's lathe has a rapid original type A tool post, with about 6 holders, which happens to be the same size as Dickson S2, which I'd previously acquired 19 Dickson S2 holders in preparation of getting a Colchester master. As far as any other italian posts I just cannot fathom RO's charts with the sizes to see what other holders match up.

Back