[RANT] Absurd prices (and even more absurd culture)

The unfortunate thing is that a lot of those people might actually be interested if they had been given a chance to learn the little bit that let's them in the door. I see it all the time a car shows where you have the folks that hang back and don't engage with the exhibitors. If you go out to them, a they really are interested, just have no idea how to connect.
Just another view.
Jim

Sorry off subject from original post...

I had a chance to interview my new boss - and asked him exactly that - what's a 1/4-20? He didn't know. This was right after he showed me pages upon pages of enineering prints and assemblies he supposidly designed - right. They hired him (against my recommendation) - then fired him 6 weeks later.

All I can say is somehow these people got advanced degrees but know virtually nothing mechanical. For a laugh all I have to do is to go down to the shop and look at "the print of the day" - it never ends - the goofy dimensions and stupid designs.

On my desk I keep a print that some engineer (designed in 3D) had a part quoted - $50, then I went and looked it up in McMaster-Carr - 50 cents for a shoulder bolt....

The best thing that ever happened to the mechanical engineering world - 3D design
The worst thing that ever happened to the mechanical engineering world - 3D design

Jim

The unfortunate thing is that a lot of those people might actually be interested if they had been given a chance to learn the little bit that let's them in the door. I see it all the time a car shows where you have the folks that hang back and don't engage with the exhibitors. If you go out to them, a they really are interested, just have no idea how to connect.
Just another view.
Jim

Very true, I see it as well with RC flying, people that want to ask but for whatever reason don't, but one thing I've see that really bothers me, though it's rare, is people being rude because there asked what they think is a silly questions(i.e. how far can you fly away form yourself or how long does a tank of fuel last) but nothing is a silly question if you have no knowledge of it, that's why I really like this forum, the whole concept of a friendly forum is great, and it's great to see people can ask whatever the need to without being humiliated and belittled, with some of the answers and comments I've see on other forums it makes me wonder how many people have gotten frustrated and packed it in because of being verbally abused for asking a simple question:thinking:

Very true, I see it as well with RC flying, people that want to ask but for whatever reason don't, but one thing I've see that really bothers me, though it's rare, is people being rude because there asked what they think is a silly questions(i.e. how far can you fly away form yourself or how long does a tank of fuel last) but nothing is a silly question if you have no knowledge of it, that's why I really like this forum, the whole concept of a friendly forum is great, and it's great to see people can ask whatever the need to without being humiliated and belittled, with some of the answers and comments I've see on other forums it makes me wonder how many people have gotten frustrated and packed it in because of being verbally abused for asking a simple question:thinking:

Amen Don. But we must remember "thats why I really like this forum..." is because you, I and all the rest of our colleges subscribe to the mission and values of the Hobby-Machinist.

David

Heraclitus, the Greek philosopher born in 535 B.C. (the age when almost all the fundamentals of contemporary geometry and physics were discovered) mainly famous for his "everything flows" (*), had more or less the same problem with the people of his times.
He divided the mankind in "wise" and "sleepers", and wrote «For what sense or understanding have they? They follow minstrels and take the multitude for a teacher, not knowing that many are bad and few good. For the best men choose one thing above all – immortal glory among mortals; but the masses stuff themselves like cattle.» (Got from Wikiquote)
Because points of view like this, Heraclitus was considered an "elitist", but guess by who? ;)
His problem, IMHO, was he just made an ascertainment, without to try to extract from the "cattle" people who has the potential to become wiser.

(*) We can call him "Father of the Coolant".

Back
Top Bottom