Ran across this old picture...enjoy

Imagine that picture today with Michelle Obama, even if she could find a shop with a woman running a horizontal mill. Never mind the eye protection, Do you think they would allow her to hold a hammer near the First Lady? The operator probably would have been thrown to the ground and disarmed.

Randy

Wow, trong to reach the 20 contributions is going to take a long time if I keep on deleting my post!!!
As you will know during WWII many thousands of women were employed as skilled machinists and on seeing this thread I thought you might like to see this famous painting by Dame Laura Knight of Ruby Loftus machining the screw on a breach ring for a naval gun. It made Ruby quite famous for a time and helped recruit women who sadly at the end of the war were relegated to 'home engineers' once more.

v0_master.jpg

I suspect I have now uploaded this picture three times!! ah the pleasures of getting old.

Incidentally, and I know this is going to be a dangerous move, how many female members are there to this forum??

v0_master.jpg

Is it just my imagination or is the end of that mink stole wound around the arbor?

Wow, trong to reach the 20 contributions is going to take a long time if I keep on deleting my post!!!
As you will know during WWII many thousands of women were employed as skilled machinists and on seeing this thread I thought you might like to see this famous painting by Dame Laura Knight of Ruby Loftus machining the screw on a breach ring for a naval gun. It made Ruby quite famous for a time and helped recruit women who sadly at the end of the war were relegated to 'home engineers' once more.

View attachment 33022

I suspect I have now uploaded this picture three times!! ah the pleasures of getting old.

Incidentally, and I know this is going to be a dangerous move, how many female members are there to this forum??

Great painting! The lack of eye protection does make me wince a bit though. :biggrin: As to how many of the fairer sex have joined us here, no idea. So far I don't remember seeing any posts with topics like, "the mill would look so much better painted fuchsia". Okay ladies, feel free to cast dispersions my way, I know I deserve it (my wife reminds me almost daily) :biggrin:.

-Ron

Ah the old times before health and safety and people had to decide for themselves whether something was safe!! many a good eye lost through such experiences. As a newbie I hesitate to start a new thread, but you have me interested now as to whether there are many/any women out there producing engineered outcomes and particularly on this site.
Please Messrs. moderators let us know

Add one more girl guys.My 23 yr old daughter has been a machinist for 5 yrs.She started at a little shop where I was working.Now she's a button pusher running nc lathes and swisses.I'm specialized in crank yanking.LOLralph

Chips are chips, doesn't matter what makes'em. Great pics though. And yes they are a great distraction!:drool:

Back