Rake angles

Izzy, glad you are making progress. What material are you cutting? Hot chips might be a good thing if it keeps the tool and work cooler.

My boring bars were purchased so the manufacturer has already done the angle-of-the-dangle machining.

The bars are round stock with a flat machined on the top. I recommend this approach. It allows me to clamp the bar in the correct position in the toolholder and a consistent position when I need to re-position the bar for various depth of boring.

I've done the exact thing. They work flawlessly. No more brazed boring bars!

I very rarely use carbide tooling nowadays but looks like bit isn't supported properly. Try 1/8" thick 'chip breaker' on top as well to spread clamping load.
learning how to shape and sharpen HSS will teach you more about how uncritical tool angles really are on hobby machines.
I remember when 'we' tried ceramic tooling at factory, didn't have a machine fast enough or rigid enough to use it and ended up going back tp brazed carbide for most general purpose work
Same principle applies to our hobby machines.
I totally understand wanting to use the inserts you have but you may be better off finding out exactly what they are and 'e-baying' them

Last edited:
The rake angle made a pretty big difference actually, my machine seems to be sensitive to small changes maybe it's got something to do with it being an older belt driven friction bearing machine but it seems to be cutting ok now. Chatter ended up being the screw had came loose haha live and learn.

Back