Radius formula

OK, Ill take a stab at it. Is this what you're trying to make?
Clamp.JPG

Thats what im trying to,figure out you see if the clamp is .250 wide and i measure across the bend or radius it gets smaller width wise and i want it to,remain the same all the way around the bend.. See its a water,jet cutting machine part is 1 inch thick but only .250 wide. And i can make radiues anything i want but getting them both right to hold that .250 is a pain.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

We are no closer to a solution to your question than when you first commented. I think there's lots of folks here to help you solve the problem but you have to give them something to work with. Based on your comment here, it seems as though your waterjet can't hold the tolerances that have been input, which begs the question; What did you input for it to work with?

Last edited:
The centers of both radii (inside and outside) need to be at the same point. The difference in radii needs to be 0.25".
If those two items are not held, you will not meet your goal.

There is also the issue of kerf loss. So while the radial center must be the same, the actual radius value will not be different by .25. It will be greater by an amount equal to the kerf loss (smaller on the inside, larger on the outside). You have to think of the jet diameter just the same way you would if it were an end mill. Plus the phenomenon of flaring of the jet that makes the kerf wider at the bottom and also the kerf lags at the bottom. Water jets have some oddities about them that present problems with some cuts.

There is also the issue of kerf loss. So while the radial center must be the same, the actual radius value will not be different by .25. It will be greater by an amount equal to the kerf loss (smaller on the inside, larger on the outside). You have to think of the jet diameter just the same way you would if it were an end mill. Plus the phenomenon of flaring of the jet that makes the kerf wider at the bottom and also the kerf lags at the bottom. Water jets have some oddities about them that present problems with some cuts.
I agree but most programs have allowances for kerf loss. I think we are still wondering around in space looking for the datum reference point.

Back