[How do I?] R8 Shank Install

Jonathans

Professional Fish Killer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My R8 shank came out of my Albrecht 0-3/8" chuck. It was pressure fitted.
How do I reinstall the shank so it is aligned?

As long as there are no dings, scratches, foreign matter, etc., I have always warmed up the chuck just a bit in a toaster oven for a few minutes, and or put the arbor in the freezer for a few minutes first. Then gently seat the tapers together and give the arbor a good, firm rap on the tail end with a brass hammer, or at least slam the R8 end down against a wooden bench. With only a few degrees difference in temperature, they will have a firm grip when things equalize. If the tapers are clean, there should be very little runout.
If you have to clean any dings, etc off, be sure and do a uniform job. It's a little harder to get them back apart if you assemble them as I described.

As long as there are no dings, scratches, foreign matter, etc., I have always warmed up the chuck just a bit in a toaster oven for a few minutes, and or put the arbor in the freezer for a few minutes first. Then gently seat the tapers together and give the arbor a good, firm rap on the tail end with a brass hammer, or at least slam the R8 end down against a wooden bench. With only a few degrees difference in temperature, they will have a firm grip when things equalize. If the tapers are clean, there should be very little runout.
If you have to clean any dings, etc off, be sure and do a uniform job. It's a little harder to get them back apart if you assemble them as I described.
+ if there is a ding know it affects a little bigger area then appears at first glance. When there is a ding metal is pushed into the surrounding area.

Yes, a ding will upset the material immediately surrounding it. It can be removed (safely) with a fine cut file, but do not attempt to file away the ding itself, only the upset material around it. After a file, a smooth stone will finish the job. If you dye the area lightly, you can tell just how much the ding upset the material around it. It will show as a clean shiny area near the ding as you dress it down, but will fade away until it blends with the undamaged surface. Repairing or dressing down a precision taper should be done slowly, patiently, and with a careful eye.

Thanks guys,
I didn't realize it was self aligning

Back