R8 Collets

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I buy R8 collets when I see them on sale, Hardinge, BP, Crawford and one or two Lyndex.
I only buy sizes that I need, no sets. Hardinge is supposed to be one piece construction, no threaded inserts that are pinned or staked.
Can someone check their Hardinge and Crawford R8 collets and let me know if they have stake marks?
I suspect that there are some counterfeit collets being sold or rebadged as Hardinge, BP, etc...

My older Bridgeport collets are heavier and have no stake marks. I will start checking the runout on some of these collets.

I have both Crawford and Lyndex. They both have pressed in threaded bushings. Can't say on the Hardinge, but I do find the better quality R8 collets have some form of pressed in threaded drawbar section. The runout of my Lyndex and Crawford are under 0.0002", I had some Shar's metric R8 collets that were 3-4X worse and got replaced. Crawford is top of the heap in my experience, but no longer made if I recall. Bought mine from the UK. There is also an eBay seller who still has some sizes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/R8-CRAWFOR...ARIOUS-SIZES-NEW-MOST-AVAILABLE-/121768291589
http://www.rotagriponline.com/index...tegory_id=818&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=29

Mark
Lyndex top, Crawford bottom.
20171110_181218.jpg

Hardinge R8 collet.
HARDINGE R8 Precision Collet .jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the images. I see that some Hardinge r8's have black oxide and some do not.
I have 3 Hardinge r8's that have stake/pinned marks on them. Your's does not. I'm trying to find out if Hardinge outsourced or changed the design or what. Maybe the Hardinge r8's are fake? Only way to tell is to check the TIR with a tenth's DI.

Three years a go I got a really nice 16ths set of Crawfords from http://www.usshoptools.com/. I chose Crawford because they actually listed what the gauge length for the TIR measurement was.

Last edited:
By perform do you mean insert and spin?
It looks like I have one suspect r8 that is engraved Harding. Are Harding collets still made in Elmira NY? I’m calling Harding on Monday. I’ve never paid anything even close to $45 for a collet. I’ve bought them all for around $15 each. Ill replace the one suspect r8 Harding, it’s a 1/2”

By perform do you mean insert and spin?
By perform I mean that if they are within .0001", on axis, properly hardened, properly dimensioned, and fit beautifully, then I could not care less what name brand is stamped on them. It is likely that even Hardinge has Monday morning and Friday afternoon work, and some of them slip out the door. Some might also be counterfeit. The only way to know is to test them -- just as you said, Emilio. I agree!

I've bought my legit Hardinge and Crawford collets on Ebay. Most lightly used.
Who want's R8 collets with .008 TIR? All import, or most import collets have terrible runout.
I only buy the sizes I need and use, not a whole set., and I prefer quality tool holders. I bought the Hardinge r8 3/4" to hold my Criterion
boring head. e.g.

I just realized when reading your thread that I've never checked the runout of my spindle or my R8 collets. Tomorrow I've got to check them!

Back