• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

R8 collet for 3/4" Weldon

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Can I bypass an R8 to 3/4" Weldon adapter and just use a R8 3/4" collet to hold annular cutter with a Weldon shank? I don't see a reason why not but I'd much rather be safe than sorry so I'll ask here.
TIA

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
yes you can use a collet to run a weldon shank,
just realize that you can't take as deep a cut as you could with weldon toolholder to weldon shank.
if you try to climb mill or try to take too deep of a cut, the annular cutter could be pulled right out of the r8 collet

Z2V

I'm just putting a 1" hole in 3/4" plate, straight through. I have a 1" annular cutter. I'm gonna go with it.
Thanks for the advice.

Billh50

Active User
A Weldon shank is nothing more than a straight shank with a notch in it. ( same as most endmills ) So yes they can be used in a standard R8 Collet.

firestopper

I do all the time (for drilling only) annular cutters should not be side loaded, so don’t mill with them. The R-8 to 3/4” Weldon adaptor has two set screws that secure the cutter on two flat portions of the cutter (90* apart). A 3/4” collet is fine.

Last edited:

Dabbler

I used to use a collet for my annular cutters (a la Tom Lpipton) but found a Chinese Weldon holder for 20$. Now my tool changes are MUCH faster, and there's zero chance of it turning in the collet.

Z2V

I made my holes today with the 1" annular held in 3/4" R8 collet. Worked great.
My first time to use annular cutter, I'll buy more. It took no time at all to put a 1" hole in a 3/4" plate.
Thanks for all the input

firestopper

Jeff,
In case you didn't know. There is a 3M/T-3/4" Weldon adaptor for the tail stock (assuming your PM-1236 is 3m/t). If you plan on buying more cutters, you might consider this adaptor for your lathe. It makes quick work on getting close to boring size vs step drilling. Plus on larger hole size you get a coupon that can be used for something else.
Example, You will have limitations on depth, but I would consider buying 2" from the start.
20150626_124820.jpg
Here is the tailstock adaptor. You can find them for $60-70 online. I been buying Annular cutters for some time on eBay for pennies on the dollar,
however the prices have creeped up recently. I look for American but perhaps someone else can provide feedback on imports.
IMG_0677.JPG
I hope this helps.

Paco

Z2V

Paco, I will definitely be adding more annular cutters to my collection. I hadn't even thought about using them on the lathe. I'll add the adapter to the ever growing shopping list :encourage:
Thanks

EmilioG

Active User
If you go to the Hougen website, IMO,one of the best annular cutters and arbors made, you'll see that their arbor has two SHCS to hold the cutters at the weldon flats. This set up would give you the best rigidity and holding power without slipping.
See>>

Z2V

Ha, I was looking at some Hougen cutters just a little while ago.
Thanks

firestopper

My 3 m/t adaptor (non Hougen) also has two set screws. Very nice Canadian quality for $60. I still plan on purchasing a R-8/weldon to keep from cranking up the mill table all the way up. TIP, make sure you lock your table when using the Annular cutters, any side movement= breakage.

Z2V

That would not be pretty.

firestopper

If you go to the Hougen website, IMO,one of the best annular cutters and arbors made, you'll see that their arbor has two SHCS to hold the cutters at the weldon flats. This set up would give you the best rigidity and holding power without slipping.
See>>

The cutters like between 250-450 rpm and also like to be feed constantly (not peck drilling) only pulling up to clear the nest of chips and keep lubed.
They are designed for Mag drills which turn slow RPM's.
Carful what you see on you tube of it can get expensive. Cutting oil/coolant is also a must for longevity. Read this, practice this and your cutter will last.http://www.hougen.com/downloads/Hougen_Mag_Drill_&_Annular_Cutter_Guide.pdf
The RPM's are based off my Mag drill (Hougen 904).

Z2V

I saw a chart online that had the rpm for 1" cutter at 900 rpm. That just didn't sound right so I set the speed to 400 and it cut just fine. Nothing turned blue.

Dabbler

I've been using around 300rpm and a spray bottle of soluable oil lube. My 3/4" cutter has done over 150 holes in 3/16 and 1/4 structural tube (including welds) and is still sharp.

5 7