R-8 Self centering chuck for a mill?

I have also turned on my bridgy. Blue chip and nice finish. But it was in a collet. My instructor started his cnc shop with a bridgy and a 3 jaw (before he had cnc). I dont know how many you need but I believe I paid 5 bucks a pop for my 5/8 heim bungs for 1.25/.095 dom a-arms

I have used my mill as a backwards vertical lathe. It works great, no issues with it. And setting tool height is a snap!
Just take it easy, it should work out fine.

Looks like he has an rf 45 calone. It would spin that 3 1/2" chuck allright. But I think the boreing head would be the better rout to take.

So your saying turn the cutter around so it turn an od instead of a id?
Looks like he has an rf 45 calone. It would spin that 3 1/2" chuck allright. But I think the boreing head would be the better rout to take.

So your saying turn the cutter around so it turn an od instead of a id?

Yep, and run the mill in reverse. Or use a LH boring bar and run it forward if you prefer, but LH boring bars are not common shop items.

Yep, and run the mill in reverse. Or use a LH boring bar and run it forward if you prefer, but LH boring bars are not common shop items.

I looked for a set of LH boring bars a while back. And yes, they are not common, in fact, I could not find anybody selling them? I hand to make my own! If anybody knows of a source, I think the HM group would like hear.

I have had one of those 3 jaw chucks with a R8 arbor for about 10 years now. It’s been neglected for so long I can’t recall where it is. I also have one of those spinning chucks for the lathe tail stock. Same story, don’t know where I put it. Conclusion to some of you tool aholics like myself…don’t ask me for advice or you’ll be storing crap you can’t find anymore!

I looked for a set of LH boring bars a while back. And yes, they are not common, in fact, I could not find anybody selling them? I hand to make my own! If anybody knows of a source, I think the HM group would like hear.

I had just posted various sources on LH boring bars too but realized that I don't think that's what he meant & deleted it. I believe he meant LH boring bar sets for use in boring heads. Boring head boring bars are shorter than those commonly used on lathes. Boring bar set for boring heads are all one shank size but in different lengths. Of course you could always cut one down to length if needed.

But yeah, I've never seen LH boring bar sets for boring heads commonly available. Mesa tools make short indexable boring bars for use in boring heads but not in sets, just one length per boring head size. 2" boring head - 1/2" x 3" boring bar. 3" boring head - 3/4" x 4.5" boring bar.

Back