Quiet Air Compressor

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I would like to buy an air compressor. General shop air, maybe a coolant mister in the future.
I live in a townhouse so noise can be an issue. I was looking at those ultra quit compressors. Looks like California Air Tools makes the quietest.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NOSCDPA/ref=psdc_9022396011_t1_B0014GEZBY?th=1
I have never owned a compressor and have no idea what size I need.
All suggestions would be appreciated.

I bought a Husky 4.7G Silent Flow compressor and added a 10G expansion tank. The box said 62db. It looks identical to the California Air Tools variety and can say it is very quiet. I have it in an interior bedroom. This is the Home Depot version of the California model, and I don't think it's available any longer. I picked it up on clearance for $86.

So what do you use it mainly for? Air tools? 4.7G was to small?

My machine shop is in a bedroom. I use the air primarily for bursts to clean off parts on the lathe/mill. I have used it with a rotary die grinder, but it doesn't last too long with that. The 4.7G was probably just fine for what I would use it for, but I scored the 10G tank for $20, so why not plumb it in?

Okay. I understand. You just added the larger tank. Stayed with the same motor and compressor. And that worked okay?

IDK, but if I had to guess it would be China.

I have a California Air Tools compressor, and love it for general machine shop use such as an occasional burst of air to get chips out of a blind hole, or to run a coolant mister. The one I have is only 1/2 HP and is very quiet. Additionally it has a small footprint. Will it run air tools? Not very efficiently, but it might be okay for just a minute or two on a die grinder or something similar. For the bigger jobs I've got a 6 HP unit from Castair out in the garage.

The absolute quietest are the type that use refrigerator compressors. Jun-Air is one that comes to mind but these are very expensive. You can also get a Cal Air Tools unit inside a sound reducing box, also for big $, about $1500 IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back