Quill Down Feed On Bridgeport

Mutt

Registered
Registered
I have a Bridgeport J head 1964.
Question is:
Is the handle (on the right side of the head) the only way for the quill to move up/down , when not using power feed?

Isn't there a way to lock the handwheel (where the stub is for the power up/down feed), so you can rotate it and it moves the quill up and down without the quill just dropping if the quill lock isn't depressed?

Yes....you can use the fine feed handwheel if you have one. I don't recall the procedure without having the machine in front of me but I'm sure you can figure it out.

iirc, pull the center selector pin into its neutral position and engage the feed lever. Then you have manual control of the fine feed. Been a while since I used it, so no promises. It's good for speeding through a rough boring operation.

I have an issue then, When I pull the pin into the center (neutral) position and pull the feed lever, it doesn't "click" into a locking position, You'd have to hold it. Any ideas?

Mine does that if the quill is all the way up. If I move it down slightly it works as Tony said.

I believe there is a feed stop kickout at the top and the bottom of the range, and yes you do have to get off that point just the same as if you were at the very bottom limit.

Ok. I tried this: quill a few turns from full up, engagement knob in forward,neutral and reverse. with power feed in/out in the out position. Still ya have to hold that handle with the knowb on the left side of head to be able to use the fine feed, it won't click into position and stay? Has anyone ever experienced this and is there something that may be out of adjustment or broke?

At the top of the adjustable quill screw, towards the operator and just a little off to the right is a sliding pin that latches the quill screw.
When you pull your feed handle out sideways the threaded quill screw moves up and the above pin moves down and latches. That is why the feed won't latch when the quill is up as the pin runs into the follower.
Your's is possibly stuck and not moving down to latch or damaged.

I just checked mine and I don't feel a detent to hold it in place. Not sure it's that worn out, because I rarely use it and I don't see any grooved to hold it. Might be just free floating on that shaft. I can did out the parts book and see.

Back