Quickly Aligning A Four Jaw Lathe Chuck

C'mon-- couple of screw driver handles two pieces of suitable scrap, big file.
Paint bright nauseous color. ......BLJHB.

There is only one way to speed set a four jawed chuck. Two Chuck Keys, 1 Chuck Key makes no difference. The word is PRACTICE. I use one key an can dial it in, in 30 seconds or less once the piece is in the chuck.

"Billy G"

I really like the round key idea. I keep trapping my finger on the chip guard using the rear key.

Heck I go real slow. Don't want it to be over too quickly cause machining is fun.
Start with dial indicator, switch to .0005'' dti, then to .0001'' dti. Then take a nap.
I try to take as few of steps as I know how & I'm still really slow. I don't have time to get anything finished as it is. I don't need to find ways to drag it out. I have more fun when projects are finished.

4 jaw chuck? What the heck is that? But really, in my shop the 4 jaw chuck collects a lot of dust. Yes, when you really need it, there is no substitute. But, I use my 3 jaw Buck for just about everything! Our ancestors were master artisans. They made works of art from the simplest of tools, basically stone axes. They did not have the internet to buy all the gadget toys for our shops. Most of the toys today are just hyped up ads. When you get the widget thing in the mail it goes in a draw never to be seen again. Do I need two keys for my 4 jaw…no. I can make the chuck work with just one key. But it’s a good idea. I would rather keep things simple in my shop like my ancestors did. I find the simplest method works the best and yields the best results as well. I often sleep on it/the project for a night. Then start the next day with the simple approach, works for me…Good Luck, Dave.

My way to set a four jaw, centered or offset is LOTS OF PRACTICE. I set mine either way, centered or offset in less than 60 seconds with a single wrench and magnetic based indicator..

"Billy G"
That's the reason abom79 , ( Adam ) is so Quick he uses them daily , when you do something repeat ally it comes second nature . It's practice makes perfect. That's why trap and skeet shooters shoot almost daily if they can . If they don't keep up with the practice they dont win .

I think I saw an article (maybe in Home Shop Machinist) where the author made a couple of chuck keys with round handles for centering in a 4-jaw.

Along these lines, in the initial stage of zeroing work in a independent chuck, I use a regular chuck key but without the cross bar. I work it like a screwdriver and can reach around the back of the chuck quite well. It reduces the amount of chuck turning required and prevents me from over tightening the jaws during the adjustment period. Obviously the jaws have to be tighter than that for turning so they get snugged up evenly and gradually before starting the lathe.

Thanks Jim. I was expecting to learn something new but I think that post describes the method most of us have always used.

You can also locate Abom79 on utube. He is approaching his 100th video. Several of his videos show him very quickly centering a 4 jaw with very little needle movement.

You can also locate Abom79 on utube. He is approaching his 100th video. Several of his videos show him very quickly centering a 4 jaw with very little needle movement.

I will add that to our video library if I don't have it already. I know we have tubal cain's version.

Back