Quickly Aligning A Four Jaw Lathe Chuck

A slight variation on this that works very well is to setup the dial gauge indicator then rotate the chuck 360 degrees by hand. As it rotates make a note of the minimum and maximum needle movement then average them, if the minimum is 0 and the maximum is 0.8 then the average is 0.4. Now rotate so the indicator lines up with the jaws and using two keys adjust until the indicator shows 0.4, now rotate 90% and repeat. In less than two whole turns on the chuck the work is perfectly centred.

I think I saw an article (maybe in Home Shop Machinist) where the author made a couple of chuck keys with round handles for centering in a 4-jaw.

That sounds like a heck of an idea. I'm going to check now and see if a 1/4 or 3/8 drive ext. will fit my chuck. Then use those thumb wheel ratchets with the ratcheting part disabled with a drop of Super Glue. thumbwheel paint.jpg

I have never had much trouble with a 4 jaw. Early on I was getting confused, but took just a little time to analyze what was really going on. Turn the chuck key clockwise and you push the work away, counterclockwise to pull it toward the key. The rest is just doing it...

I use one Key and a broken yard stick! No really I have been meaning to make a second key but I just never have.But I do the rest the same as Randy. Franko I saw the same article in either HSM or MWS. nice with like a thumb screw head.
Randy Thanks for taking the time to write this up and post it. even though I have a grip on this. It was write ups and you tube guys that got me this far. so I like that you did this for some guy like me to find and make his life easier. Even for guys that have other ways of doing this it is good to read. The more ways you know to skin a cat the more likely you will get that cat skinned.
Thanks again for the post
Mark

I use one Key and a broken yard stick! No really I have been meaning to make a second key but I just never have.But I do the rest the same as Randy. Franko I saw the same article in either HSM or MWS. nice with like a thumb screw head.
Randy Thanks for taking the time to write this up and post it. even though I have a grip on this. It was write ups and you tube guys that got me this far. so I like that you did this for some guy like me to find and make his life easier. Even for guys that have other ways of doing this it is good to read. The more ways you know to skin a cat the more likely you will get that cat skinned.
Thanks again for the post
Mark

Thank YOU, Mark, I sincerely appreciate your opinion ! It's always nice to know that the information is useful and the time spent is appreciated :)

Randy did you see bill 4227's Post of a youtube vid. another pretty cool way to skin that cat.

That sounds like a heck of an idea. I'm going to check now and see if a 1/4 or 3/8 drive ext. will fit my chuck. Then use those thumb wheel ratchets with the ratcheting part disabled with a drop of Super Glue. View attachment 99987
Catskinner, this may not work if your jaws move independent Only. when you get to larger dia. parts the spinner/thumbscrew may interfere with the end of the jaw sticking out. Just a thought.
Mark

Catskinner, this may not work if your jaws move independent Only. when you get to larger dia. parts the spinner/thumbscrew may interfere with the end of the jaw sticking out. Just a thought.
Mark

That is true might have to add an extension of the appropriate length to make it work.

Back