1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Quick Question on BP Upper Head Rebuild

Discussion in 'BRIDGEPORT MACHINES INC. & B'PORT CLONES' started by Dabbler, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Dabbler

Dabbler Active Member Active Member

City:
    Calgary
    State:
    Alberta

-Return to Top-

I took apart my 'First ' BP clone upper head assembly, to repair the in-out lever for the back gear.

Someone rebuilt it and put grease on the back gear and pinion. Since there is an oiler there, I wanted to be sure that these gears were meant to be oiled, not greased. I repaired the in-out lever, (the rebuilder reassembled it wrong) and now am ready for complete reassembly.

Should I remove the grease before I reassemble?

2. AxeMaker

AxeMaker United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Buford
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

3. Sendit

Sendit United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Raleigh
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

The In and out gear being the gear that is engaged when in Lo-Gear? If so the area should be filled with grease, if it's a variable speed. On the back of mine head I had a little flat area that I drilled and tapped for a grease zerk fitting.

Dabbler and JimDawson like this.
  4. Dabbler

Dabbler Active Member Active Member

City:
    Calgary
    State:
    Alberta

-Return to Top-

Thanks for your help!
    It appears that both grease and oil are used. (I forgot to describe that I have a J type, using V belt on pulleys to change speeds)