Quick question about a TIG welder

It is greed,pure and simple, the rule of thumb these days is to have the cash ready and jump on the deal before the next guy gets it, asking a seller to wait even for a few hours is relying on his or her integrity , some will disappoint you to get a few dollars more.
hman, it was only a tig welder, you may get a much better quality welder because to missed this deal.

Welcom to the new world :( morals ,manners ,ethics are out the window,
I'll blame it on electronic gizmos , overpopulation ,greed , :mad:

This is an unfortunate outcome and exemplifies the culture surrounding Craigslist in my area.

I have sold on Craigslist in the past - people say they are coming and don't show up. Many show up with the full intention of low balling you, and, and, and. Unfortunately there is no way for a seller to know if the folks he is dealing with are honest or not. Conversely, there's no way for a buyer to know if the seller is on the up and up.

My personal experience with CL in my region causes me to pause when I even consider using it.

Personally, any sales that I have made on CL, I have always used the policy of first come.first served. If someone has stated that they would take the item, I will tell any future interested parties that it has been spoken for but in the event that the deal doesn't go through, I would notify them. Once a deal goes through, I e-mail all parties to say the item is sold and immediately de-list it. Common courtesy.

It could have been worse, hman. At least you got a text before you made the trip.

!!#*&^$##*((!!! Set up an appointment by email last night, offering full asking price. Phoned this morning to confirm for 12:30 or 1PM (~35 mile drive). Loaded the engine hoist in the pickumup and was just out the driveway when I got a text that he'd sold it. Crummy son of a sea cook! Not even forthright enough to phone.

Anyway, many thanks to all of you for your fast and helpful replies.
Hi John,

Sorry you missed out on the welder. I have an AHP Alpha-TIG 200 and really like the machine. However, as mentioned above, old Miller technology will probably hold up better than my inverter TIG. I have well over $1200 into mine with the HF cart, 40 cf gas tank, various tungsten, various filler rods, etc., etc., etc. Hopefully another shows up in your area, handy tool to have. If my AHP fries I'll buy a Miller or Hobart.

Bruce

I'm not sure trying to buy something over the phone, even for full price, is such a good idea- I've never done it myself. I always want to see it first before talking price.
So yeah, I guess I've always subscribed to the early bird gets the worm theory.
That welder would have listed here for at least twice that much so it sounded fishy to me.
Better luck next time John
Mark

Personally, any sales that I have made on CL, I have always used the policy of first come.first served. If someone has stated that they would take the item, I will tell any future interested parties that it has been spoken for but in the event that the deal doesn't go through, I would notify them. Once a deal goes through, I e-mail all parties to say the item is sold and immediately de-list it. Common courtesy.
That's exactly what I've done when selling. As you do, I consider it common courtesy.

It could have been worse, hman. At least you got a text before you made the trip.
Thanks. And thanks also for the rest of you who offered the kind words.

I guess, if nothing else, I should remember to ask future sellers if they'll hold it until I get there (24 hours or less!), or if it's "jungle rules."

I buy and sell a lot of stuff on Craigslist. A seller is crazy to not go with first come (with the cash) first served. About 80 percent of the time I have tried to hold for someone, I have gotten burned. I don't do it anymore. You have to remember that usually you are dealing with total strangers.
I do get some amazing deals, mainly because I can usually show up within an hour of the seller posting. The stellar deals only last about 2 hours around here. One of my greatest irritations is an ad coming up an hour or two before my wife and I are going out to some event. The following morning is usually too late.

Randy

I understand the problem with "hold it for me" no-shows. I limit the problem by having them commit to an arrival time/deadline. If a no-show, I'll email the next prospective buyer.

IIRC, I've had just one instance (a 2-wheel dolly) where two successive buyers showed up (on time), but decided that mine just wasn't what they were looking for (they wanted something sturdier ... so I told them about a nice one available at Costco about 2 miles away). Sold my dolly to the next person in line, no sweat.

Back