Quick JET 13 X 36 BD video

Great write ups and pics! I have the same lathe with an AC 2hp motor, please explain how a 3/4hp DC has enough power to do the same work. I get the huge advantage of the variable speed but I don't understand how you have equal or better torque and power. As you can tell by this question I don't know a lot about electric motors, just hoping to expand my knowledge here.

thanks, Brian

It's all about torque and the DC motor has a tachometer that if the motor is slowing down it applies voltage. I could easily stall the 2.5hp AC motor with a rag on the chuck.There is no way I can stall this motor. Anmd MUCH smoother. The surface finish is now amazing without the 60hz AC ripple.

It's all about torque and the DC motor has a tachometer that if the motor is slowing down it applies voltage. I could easily stall the 2.5hp AC motor with a rag on the chuck.There is no way I can stall this motor. Anmd MUCH smoother. The surface finish is now amazing without the 60hz AC ripple.

thanks for the answers! Again, really nice mods to your lathe.

Brian

I setup a couple stamping presses at work with the same motor. They run all day and they have lots of power as you have noted.
Pierre

Back