Quick Change Tool Post And Tool Holders

oldhank60

Registered
Registered
Hello
first I am interested to know which is better with the QCTP , wedge type or piston type? I have never used piston type so I have no idea which is best.
I have both a AXA (100) series with 7 different tool holders and a BXA (200) series tool post but no tool holders, are QCTP standard sized so a tool holder from one brand will work on a different brand?
I have a PM-1340 GT ordered from what I have read it will be the BXA size tool post that will work best, all I will need to do is make a new bottom plate to fit m my lathe, and find at least a 1/2 dozen tool holders.
I don't have the BXA in front of me but it is a phase II, I hope it will work well enough, I can even come close to paying out the major money they want for Aloris or a Dorian.
I will be looking for deals that will fit the Phase II QCTP, plus knurling

Hank

I know part of your answer. AXA are all the same size. BXA is next size up and all standard to that size. Dorian and Aloris are way out of my price. I can get four generic holders for the price of one of the Aloris!

I can't speak for Phase II vs other brands but I have used both wedge and piston types in Phase II. I much prefer the wedge. It holds better and re positions better. I don't have any hard data to back this up just opinion for what its worth.

I agree with churchjw, wedge seems to hold better. Both styles when not engaged have a loose fit between the two dovetails. Actuating the piston style pushes the tool holder away from the post so the contact surfaces are the piston head and the dovetail surfaces. Actuating the wedge style forces the tool holder into the post. Contact surfaces are the flat surfaces on either side of the dovetail and the dovetail. Wedge style should make for a more rigid set up.

I just upgraded from a Phase II piston style to an Aloris wedge type. For home shop work, I don't really notice all that much of a difference.
In fact, I've found that the Aloris requires a firmer tug on the handle than my Phase II, or it tends to loosen up.

As for sizing, you'll find that the sizes are *mostly* standardized. In theory, anyone's 200/BXA holders should fit. There are some pretty good quality imports available these days, but I'd stay away from the no-name ones, I've read some folks complaining about poor fits, etc.

I just upgraded from a Phase II piston style to an Aloris wedge type. For home shop work, I don't really notice all that much of a difference.
In fact, I've found that the Aloris requires a firmer tug on the handle than my Phase II, or it tends to loosen up.

As for sizing, you'll find that the sizes are *mostly* standardized. In theory, anyone's 200/BXA holders should fit. There are some pretty good quality imports available these days, but I'd stay away from the no-name ones, I've read some folks complaining about poor fits, etc.
My AXA no name holds very well I am hoping the Phase II BXA will work well also once I get some tool holders. I bought the phase II a few years ago just because I won the bid on eBay I always bid low or I dont bid, I use eBay to save money not just a place to spend it.

Back