Questions on a Used Millermatic 135

aluminum welding was mentioned. you will need to purchase the aluminum gun, miller and lincoln both make one for these. aluminum spool is on the gun as the alloy is too soft to push from the welder, some guns may pull the wire. additionally, you will have to use gas sheilding so the regulator is a must.

it can be done. also note that lincoln and miller produce rod to weld cast iron but the process is specialized. I remember dad attempting it once when he owned a welding shop. i used the rosebud torch to try and keep the cast heated all over so it didn't crack and craze. if you dont have the part heated, stress cracking will happen. after he welded it, we buried it in sand to keep air away and slow coolin. pulled it out after a day.

this is stick welding and if you try to repair a cast iron crack, be certain to drill a hole at each end of the crack to stop it or be prepared to use a lot of rod.

Corneal burns suck. Nothing like waking up at 3am feeling like Pismo beach dumped all its sand in your eyes.
The bad thing-each time you do get a burn it is easier and easier to get.
Sliced raw potatoes on the eyes work believe it or not to ease it a bit.

I've used a Hobart Handler 140 for quite a while now. I have a tank and regulator, but prefer to use flux-core for the convenience of it. No gas to set and drain for every little tacking job. Sure, there's more cleanup, but that never bothered me.

Up here, as Shawn can attest, $400 is a good price. Mine was pushing $600 new without the tank.

You will want to have a 20 amp circuit available for when you're welding at maximum settings. For 1/8" stock, a 15 amp circuit usually works fine. And get an auto-darkening helmet. One good way to keep Pismo beach out of your eyes.

Aluminum sucks heat away really fast, so you won't be welding very thick aluminum with a 135. If that's a priority for you, wait and get at least a 180 in 240 volt.

Your first welds will look like mine were, but within an hour, you'll be feeling pretty good about your progress.

Back