Questions for career Machinists.

I just want to say that the Hobby-Machinist forum is AWESOME. I am a hobbies but it means a lot to me that so many professionals will take the time to share their knowledge in a supportive way.

The tool & die makers in our tool room at GM are skilled trades at about $37 per hour. Worth every cent when the feces hits the rotating oscillator on the floor when something breaks. Big problem for us is finding replacements as the guys retire. I'm 58 and look like a younger brother in the shop. Real need out there for Craftsmen.

Bruce

Totally agree Richard.
Bruce, I put a large part of the blame on the companies for their predicament.
I'm not going to get into my life story but I entered the workforce later in life. Graduated Tech school with three AAS degrees at the age of 44 with a gpa of 4.0, which I realize really doesn't mean anything.
Anyways, I would have gladly paid a company the amount I paid for tuition for training then a contract or some kind of agreement that I would be offered a position with them. There would be an interview process like applying for a real job. Personally I would have done that in a heartbeat.
I'll move tomorrow if you can get me a job in the toolroom @ GM. I can guarantee total dedication to the trade but in the end I'm 48 years old and that imo is a deal breaker. I'm in a job now that I really don't enjoy and see myself stuck there until I retire.
Sorry for the hijack but I'm sure the OP got his responses he needed.

Back