Questions/decisions about Crafting Firearms, i.e., Silver Bullets vs Holy Water Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

markjordan

Registered
Registered
I am playing a 1st level rock gnome ranger(monster slayer at 3rd level) in Curse of Strahd and my DM(first-timer!) has allowed me to start with a pistol instead of a light crossbow and the clockwork device. We have agreed that the gnome can use its tinker tools proficiency to craft ammunition and firearms in the same way that the Critical Role Gunslinger can, but that in this world firearms were rare, and that I wouldn't be able to buy bullets anywhere. At first I was excited about the idea of crafting a palm pistol and silver bullets, but then I saw the cost and wondered if the juice was really worth the squeeze. In addition to the usual ammo crafting expense(2 gold) and the single day of downtime to craft, it costs 50 gold(of silver) for 10 pieces of ammo. And the list of creatures this would be a relevant attack against, I assume is short. It says that the 100 gold cost represents the cost of both materials and labor, so let's hope the DM will interpret this as 50 gold for that half batch of ammo. So that means a single silver bullet costs approx. 1 hour labor + 5 gold + 1 silver, and inflicts 1d10 points of piercing damage.
However, I also used the Haunted One background and noticed that I begin with holy water. This immediately made me want to make a Holy Water Pistol. After checking into the crafting regulations, it appears that these concepts will require some comparative research, especially because I'm dealing with a low-level character's little budget. My DM is very lax when it comes to regulations, so I'll have to come up with a balanced draught for the Holy Water Pistol and compare it to making a palm pistol with silver rounds or simply ordinary bullets.
And anyone familiar with the crafting rules or the gunslinger archetype: Am I on the right path for drafting the Holy Water Pistol? What would you add or remove? How would your Holy Water Pistol look and work?

And any of you math enthusiasts: I suck at this balancing thing, do you have any insight?

Sorry, I can’t help you with the math.
But when archetype gunslinger is mentioned, Lee Van Cleef comes to mind.
Cheers, Harvey

Attachments

• D0E686A0-8DA5-4AB3-B0F1-CE97390BE123.png
    D0E686A0-8DA5-4AB3-B0F1-CE97390BE123.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
I'm still waiting to hear how this applies to boats and water craft!

Perhaps the holy water pistol provides propulsion like on a jet boat?

And speaking of Gunslingers.......

Attachments

• C60B69D6-C9A0-49B0-910E-2597A865F895.png
    C60B69D6-C9A0-49B0-910E-2597A865F895.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back