Question/Opinion Best inexpensive high presure oil can.

One could even mod a turkey injector to work.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=turky+injecter

61FW-ZgdduL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited:
My mill has nipples "like grease zerts " for oil , I modified this grease gun by removing the spring loaded plunger rod from the small end , brazed the hole shut , filled with way oil .
Have to hold it upside down to use it but it works good , doesn't leek , pumps oil lots of pressure.
Guess I could put some hose on the end , or make somthing to seal around a ball oiler for it.
View attachment 238162
As the new to me Sheldon lathe only has ball oilers making a new tip is on the list.

One could turn a piston with a lip seal or o ring maybe a lighter spring and not have to turn it upside down.

The timing on this thread is excellent as I recently obtained a 'no name' horizontal mill that has grease zerks all over it. Luckily, there are no signs of grease around these fittings, but the machine is quite oily. I had never seen zerk type fittings used for oil before, but there is a first time for everything! I guess I will be searching out one of those oilers.

On the other hand, I have a couple of Goldenrod oil cans that I use for filling Gits oilers and for ball oilers, such as those used on my Clausing mill and my Logan 10" lathe. I've not had any problems with them taking oil, but I do have to make sure that I have the oil can tip perpendicular to the oiler for it to work properly.

Tried the one hand pump injector for grease or heavy oil Did not work good for way oil, Leaked around the ball oilers, And leaked out while moving from one to the other. Will use it for grease on my mowers. Will start looking at the other suggestions.

Funny, I was originally thinking about making an adapter to attach a grease hose and zerk coupler to a Goldenrod pump oiler, and I still might do just that instead of the push type grease gun. The idea to modify a pistol grip grease gun isn't bad either, but I was thinking of doing this:
1. Remove the piston, plunger, and spring.
2. Seal up the cap
3. Make a dip tube that allows you to keep the modified gun held upright

Then it dawned on me that the pump is not self priming, so my idea will not work.

Back to square 1!

A piston about 1" long with an O-ring at each end should keep it square work fine. A lighter spring would be optional for easer. mount the piston solid on the end of the rod. When the rod gets all the way you will no it is out of oil.

The other problem I see on sealing the tube is what happens with the suction of the oil out of it.. You have to do something to let air in or something. but with the sealed piston with a light spring, or something then as you pump the oil out, you do not create a suction in the tube like you would on a sealed tube. Plus you could use in any angle

On by suggestion the rod is still in place and the back isn't sealed where the rod goes through .

Funny enough I had to go into the little tool box that's supplied with my lathe for something and saw the oil bottle there. I had forgotten all about it. Well, surprisingly it works pretty good. The tip is conical and small and it fits right into the ball oiler hole, depressing the ball enough. I'm gonna continue to use it. When I get home I'll post a pic of its nozzle but it's like the tip that Martin/kd4gij posted above.

Back