• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Question/Opinion Best inexpensive high presure oil can.

kvt

Active User
Ok, Question/opinions for best inexpensive high pressure oil can. Have an old Lath that uses ball oilers, Have a real cheep oil can that cannot seem to push the oil into the oilers it is like some of the oil passages are sealed real well, little to no wear.
so what is a good oil can that will push oil into them without costing an arm and a leg. Spent most of my spending money for a while getting the new to me lathe. what do people use and what do they suggest.

Silverbullet

They sell a short pump oiler / grease pump for chainsaw tips. I'll Ck eBay and get a number for you. There's also a single pump oiler sold for the old style Bridgeport with grease fittings. Both are cheap $10. - $15 . I have several and they produce good pressure.

kvt

Active User
silverbullet, Thanks I want to take a look at some of them. I see the one that kd4gij listed but how well do ones for grease work with oil.

pstemari

H-M Supporter - Premium Content
H-M Supporter-Premium
The Goldenrod oilers are inexpensive, US made, and work with ball oilers. Be aware that you have to slowly press the lever for oilers without much backspace, eg tailstock oilers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter-Premium
These ball oilers are a PITA. No doubt about it. Search the forum, I think there are several older threads having the same discussion, with some innovative solutions.

Also, with old machinery sometimes the oil passages are actually clogged with dried oil. Nothing goes in exactly because they are clogged! Sometimes it's worth while to dissemble and take a look.

Glenn

Silverbullet

There the ones pushanlube , work the one kd4dj shows is about the best . The chainsaw bar lube pump works ok they run $9.00 with shipping there all metal and have a small tip and it pumps with the ball of your hand. I have several with different oils and grease. I work on repairing small engines , there easy for me been doing them all my life over fifty years. But I use them on my machines too. Ck this one too, 3 ounce mini grease gun 331006325043 on eBay type the number in search $8.88 free ship , the other lube models there also.

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium

Chipper5783

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
I'm a big Reilang fan - designed for pumping oil, no leaks. Works on both button and nipple oil fittings (change the end fitting - both are provided with the tool). I found the Goldenrod (or similar) did not generate enough pressure.

The Reilang seems expensive. I bet I spent considerably more (and lots of time mucking around) on oilers that didn't do the job. The objective is to get the correct lubricant into the location that it needs to be. Any tool that cannot achieve that objective is very expensive (waste of money or time, and shortens the life of the machine because the oil isn't getting where it is supposed to).

No question in my opinion - the Reilang pump oiler is one of the cheapest options! I have no affiliation with this brand, just a satisfied customer.

This topic has come up several time before. Search this site for Reilang and you will find further discussion.

Vacuum

Iron
Registered Member
I cut a 12" long piece of clear tubing and slide one end over the nozzle of my pump oilers. The tubing is sized so that it will seal on the outside of the oiler with a ID that just a little larger than the oiler ball. The loose end is mashed around the oiler, with one hand pushing hard enough to form a seal. The oil is then pumped in with the other hand and flows in very easy with GoldenRod or Plews pump oilers. The pump oiler will generate more than enough pressure to push the oiler ball away. You can control, watch the oil flowing and flush till clean new oil is visible.

Due to having several machines with different size oilers I have set up oilers with different sizes of tubing. I also have set one up to oil GITS flip lid oilers. Being able to use both hands makes oiling faster and more controlled, do not really spill a lot. When done the pump oiler are put on a shelf with clips to hold the hose ends higher than the pump oiler to keep from leaking from the tubing.

As I was taught to never use air pressure to clean a machine a vacuum is used to clean each port with an appropriate sized nozzle.

royesses

H-M Supporter-Premium
I've got a couple of these and they're good, but I still think there's gotta be something better for ball oilers. I'm gonna try one of those high pressure jobs. Right now I use a scribe to push down on the ball and then shoot the oil in. It works but messy.
I pushed a small chunk of vacuum hose on the end of the nozzle it is very tight on the nozzle. That allows me to develop more pressure on the ball. Usually there is no loss of oil and all of the injected oil goes in. It may not work for some ball oilers that have a strong spring behind them though.

Roy

dlane

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
My mill has nipples "like grease zerts " for oil , I modified this grease gun by removing the spring loaded plunger rod from the small end , brazed the hole shut , filled with way oil .
Have to hold it upside down to use it but it works good , doesn't leek , pumps oil lots of pressure.
Guess I could put some hose on the end , or make somthing to seal around a ball oiler for it.
IMG_0787.JPG
As the new to me Sheldon lathe only has ball oilers making a new tip is on the list.

kd4gij

Active User
My mill has nipples "like grease zerts " for oil , I modified this grease gun by removing the spring loaded plunger rod from the small end , brazed the hole shut , filled with way oil .
Have to hold it upside down to use it but it works good , doesn't leek , pumps oil lots of pressure.
Guess I could put some hose on the end , or make somthing to seal around a ball oiler for it.
View attachment 238162
As the new to me Sheldon lathe only has ball oilers making a new tip is on the list.

One could turn a piston with a lip seal or o ring maybe a lighter spring and not have to turn it upside down.

terrywerm

New Member Liaison
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium
The timing on this thread is excellent as I recently obtained a 'no name' horizontal mill that has grease zerks all over it. Luckily, there are no signs of grease around these fittings, but the machine is quite oily. I had never seen zerk type fittings used for oil before, but there is a first time for everything! I guess I will be searching out one of those oilers.

On the other hand, I have a couple of Goldenrod oil cans that I use for filling Gits oilers and for ball oilers, such as those used on my Clausing mill and my Logan 10" lathe. I've not had any problems with them taking oil, but I do have to make sure that I have the oil can tip perpendicular to the oiler for it to work properly.

kvt

Active User
Tried the one hand pump injector for grease or heavy oil Did not work good for way oil, Leaked around the ball oilers, And leaked out while moving from one to the other. Will use it for grease on my mowers. Will start looking at the other suggestions.

terrywerm

New Member Liaison
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium
Funny, I was originally thinking about making an adapter to attach a grease hose and zerk coupler to a Goldenrod pump oiler, and I still might do just that instead of the push type grease gun. The idea to modify a pistol grip grease gun isn't bad either, but I was thinking of doing this:
1. Remove the piston, plunger, and spring.
2. Seal up the cap
3. Make a dip tube that allows you to keep the modified gun held upright

Then it dawned on me that the pump is not self priming, so my idea will not work.

Back to square 1!

kd4gij

Active User
A piston about 1" long with an O-ring at each end should keep it square work fine. A lighter spring would be optional for easer. mount the piston solid on the end of the rod. When the rod gets all the way you will no it is out of oil.

kvt

Active User
The other problem I see on sealing the tube is what happens with the suction of the oil out of it.. You have to do something to let air in or something. but with the sealed piston with a light spring, or something then as you pump the oil out, you do not create a suction in the tube like you would on a sealed tube. Plus you could use in any angle

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
Funny enough I had to go into the little tool box that's supplied with my lathe for something and saw the oil bottle there. I had forgotten all about it. Well, surprisingly it works pretty good. The tip is conical and small and it fits right into the ball oiler hole, depressing the ball enough. I'm gonna continue to use it. When I get home I'll post a pic of its nozzle but it's like the tip that Martin/kd4gij posted above.