Question on Thread Cutting Stop

JW714

Active User
Registered
I am reading the HTRL on thread cutting.It mentions athread cutting stop. It says that the thread cutting stop is attached to the dovetail of the saddle. What I'm not understanding is if the stop is mounted on the saddle dovetail it is going to limit the travel of the crossfeed in the wrong direction.The diagram of the cutting stop in the book shows the stop with a screw against the cross slide. Could somebody help me understand this? Thanks.JW714

MachineShop009.jpg

No I just didn't understand what they were trying to show. I thought I was missing something. I cut my threads like you do. Now I don't feel so bad..JW714

Hi Dave, I have and do cut threads with the compound method.The diagram that shows the thread cutting stop looks like it would stop the retracting of the crosslide rather than stop the feed/extend. I don't have a scanner to show the diagram in the How To Run a Lathe book.FIG 225..PG.78. This diagram is what's confusing me.I don't see how it can limit forward travel of the crosslide mounted behind the crosslide.I'm sure that it works and is a good tool.I'm just not seeing something and figured I'd ask here,Thanks to everybody responding..JW714

Man, the few brain cells I have left should have caught that one too. ;)

Here you go.

-Ron

Blue Chips link=topic=2806.msg19346#msg19346 date=1311255954 said:
The text in the two PDF's is worded both ways. Someone woke up and said, "hey let's use the compound." I wouldn't be surprised to see a later version of HTRL to suggest feeding at 29 degrees, then eventually using a threading dial.

Btw, did everybody find a PDF copy? Mine's a 3 meg file without any date, but it says "We have changed our name from South Bend Machine Tool Company to South Bend Lathe Works". Brand new 11" lathe lists at $118.

Looks like we all learned something here - I certainly did. :D

Hah! My copy shows both the 29 degree and the threading dial. :D It's "Revised Edition 55" circa 1958 and I have the hard copy.

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Back