Question On G0704 Dro Install.

wrmiller19: Did you have trouble clearing the bolts that bolt the machine down?

I had a clearance issue on my front left bolt, but switched from a cap head to a hex head and the problem was solved.

Used hex head bolts. Cap screws sat too high.

Went to recheck that my read head would indeed cover the gib adjustment screws and discovered that what I thought were the gib adjustment screws actually were the screws that held the half nut in place for the y axis lead screw. What a rookie! So mounting the scale at the rear should not be a problem.

Brooks: moving on to the Y axis it appears that your P-M machine has a vertical surface that you were able to mount your Y axis scale to, is that correct? My machine has the base sloped at about 60 degrees.

I have seen magnetic scales mounted on the sloped base of a machine like mine but the glass scales I have are much larger top to bottom, and more sensitive to chips. To mount the scales vertically will mean they will have to stand off quite a ways from the sloped base, which would mean a long bent arm to go over the scale and down to the moving read head. Right now I am thinking of machining a long wedge to go on the sloped base which would give a vertical surface to mount the scale to. Since the wedge would be mounted to the cast base I assume shimming would be necessary. Or perhaps there is a better or easier way.

Dennis
I have do two DRO installs with glass scales. One was an old mill/drill and the other was a Grizzly G0755mill/drill. I mounted the Y scale to a 3/4" thick bar attached to the saddle under the table. I had to provide clearance for the X axis lead screw bearing housing but otherwise not a problem. The counterbored holes mount to tapped holes in the saddle. Additional threaded holes were used in the bar for mounting a scale cover. If needed, an access hole for the gib adjustment can be added.

The pickup is mounted underneath to the base so there is no "long bent arm". To account for the casting draft on the bases, I used wedges. On the first install, the wedge was a separate piece. On the second, it was integral with the pickup mount. To deal with any surface irregularities, you can use epoxy with the wedge to make a stable vertical mounting surface for the scale pickup. I used that technique when mounting an optical homing sensor on my Tomach. The following pictures are models from the G0755 install.

G0755 Y Axis Scale Mount.JPGY Axis Pickup Bracket.JPG

For the X axis you should be able to mount it to the front and have enough clearance with the y axis handle. To solve the table lock bolt issue I got longer m6x1.0x50mm cup point set screws http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/3038/=wmfubi.

I had issues with the stock lock out handles getting bent if I was not paying attention to their position while moving the table. Now I use an allen wrench to tighten my lockouts when needed.

To mount the y axis I made L shaped brackets that attached to the front and rear of the base. For the head I made a .700" spacer that fits right into the notch of the saddle and then used a piece of 1/4" plate to go down to the head (effectively between the head and the base vs outside of the scale like most installs). I have solid works drawings for most of the brackets and can attach some pictures in a couple days (currently stuck at work).

hi wrmiller

I see you have mounted your mill on a wheeled tool cabinet. I'm considering doing the same. How does that work for you? How do you stabilize it? Do you lock the wheels? How do you level the mill? Is that a metal plate between the base of the machine and the wood top of the tool cabinet?

Thanks

Back