Question On Cutting A Piston

mike silvia

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys
I need to machine valve clearance on some pistons. I'm using a Goodson UPV-35 UNIVERSAL PISTON VISE. Does anybody have experience with this vise? Or does anybody have any tips for me? Thanks for any input

I have never seen one of those before so I had to look it up. It doesn't look like anything I would want to hold a piston with for flycutting, at least not without substantial modification. Not enough beef there.

I also found this write up. http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99322

The last time I needed to flycut pistons, I built a fixture to hold them in a mill vice. That was about 40 or so years ago:)

If I were going to buy or build a piston vice it would look something like this: http://www.jegs.com/p/Proform/Proform-Heavy-Duty-Multiple-Angle-Piston-Vise/2106721/10002/-1

Goodson UPV-35 UNIVERSAL PISTON VISE

UPV-357008.jpg

In that case I would use one of the jaws as a v-block in my mill vise.

I would take a big chunk of wood and bore out a center hole just the right size to fit the piston base (that hollow section, whatever you call it) then a cross-hole through the block for the wrist pin to aid in alignment. Then clamp the wood and piston in the vise.

You could also use a lathe chuck bolted down to the mill table and use that to gently grab the piston, and indicate each side of the wrist pin for alignment.

The round bar goes through the wrist pin hole. Make a sleeve if necessary for a good fit. This process aligns the piston to the fixture. Put the loose V block thing on the end of the rod. Adjust the De-Sta-Co clamp for a good hold on the piston. Now you can mount this assembly on your mill for machining and repeat set-ups. Maybe even put the fixture in a vise for angle machining…Good Luck…Dave.

NOTE: the piston can be mounted on this fixture in one of two ways. Make sure you have proper orientation.

Last edited:
set it up on a sine bare and bypassed the quick clamp for a better hold on the piston
worked pretty good
Thanks for all the info

0603162033.jpg 0603162051a.jpg

Back