Question On Craftsman Grinder

Sandia

Active User
Registered
I have an old Craftsman Grinder, 1HP, 8". I was using it yesterday and it worked fine, the third time I tried to start it, it just made a horrible loud buzzing noise. I does have a capacitor in the base, is this an indication the capacitor is bad ?

I have an old Craftsman Grinder, 1HP, 8". I was using it yesterday and it worked fine, the third time I tried to start it, it just made a horrible loud buzzing noise. I does have a capacitor in the base, is this an indication the capacitor is bad ?
Either the capacitor or the centrifugal switch. Most likely the capacitor.

I would start with the capacitor. It's also possible that the centrifugal switch is stuck.

Thanks fellows for the quick response. Can I check the capacitor or do I have to take it to a motor shop. As an after thought where would be a good place to look for one that is reasonably priced. The old grinder is not worth putting a ton of money in it. The cap has the following info on it:
Cap 25 UF
W.V 250V
CBB60-2

Thanks again

Before you go and just buy any cap that has the same spec. It would be a good idea to check and make sure it has the same or smaller physical size. And many multimeters of today have a capacitor check range/feature. Also make sure if testing the cap, take it out of circuit first…Good Luck, Dave.

Tap the end of the motor first and then try to start the motor. It might knock the switch loose. If that fails take the cap out of the circuit. Put your ohm meter on a 1K range and touch the leads. It should show a short/ 0 ohms and slowly change to "open" as it charges. Anything else would indicate a bad cap.

Tap the end of the motor first and then try to start the motor. It might knock the switch loose. If that fails take the cap out of the circuit. Put your ohm meter on a 1K range and touch the leads. It should show a short/ 0 ohms and slowly change to "open" as it charges. Anything else would indicate a bad cap.

Thanks Jim, super info. I will chk it out tomorrow.

Hey Bob, Check the current price of a quality 1 hp 8" grinder before you retire that old Craftsman, the Chinese import stuff on the market today is mostly junk, I would love to find an old 1 hp 8"Craftsman that I could repair or refurbish. Good luck !!

Depending on what you call old but Dad has a Craftsman that is around 25 years old. It still runs but it isn't that great. Actually a little better now then it was new because it doesn't take 10 minutes to wind up anymore. Only about 2. Lol

Back