Question on Cold Rust Bluing?

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
Got a question. For those out there that do quite a bit of this, if you use a sweat box what would you consider an "IDEAL" Temperature and percent of humidlity to be at while rusting.

IMG_3524 (640x480).jpg First application (640x480).jpg I've done it under a "tent" at 90F in the Summer. See Piuctures
Prefer steam- a 48" piece of 4" pvc pipe above a hot water bath. Much faster, but I don't have pics.IMG_3524 (640x480).jpg First application (640x480).jpg IMG_3524 (640x480).jpg First application (640x480).jpg

Got a question. For those out there that do quite a bit of this, if you use a sweat box what would you consider an "IDEAL" Temperature and percent of humidlity to be at while rusting.
Everything that Dulltool said is fine. But, don't think you have to "sweat" your parts. I don't know where you live, but most places are sufficiently humid to rust your parts. Hang 'em and let the ambient humidity and temp (moderate) do the work. Then boil em off. If you sweat, be careful and don't allow too much rust to form. You'll will wind up with pitting, and a heck of a mess if you do.

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

Thanks guys. I live in Montana and have rust blued before. I've got a real neat place with no folks around just the critters. I did my last rust blue in the shower of my trailer before I got my house built. I boiled my parts on the trailer stovetop. However I've now built a sweatbox and just looking for ways to creat the moisture needed to rust the parts, I thought I would probe the minds out there for the ideal numbers. I'm sure others have been before me and would help me to get where I want to be without a lot of trial and error. I have a nice gunsmith shop off my garage and would like to rust blue year round if needed but montana winters are brutal, thus the sweatbox.

Again anyone out that has any numbers that they would share would sure be appreciated ........I'm thinking maybe 50% humidity maybe 80 degrees temp. and maybe a couple of hours in the box to get that layer of red. What do y'all think? let's get a conversation going here.

Got a pic of what your tying to accomplish, I have never seen blue rust, I try to avoid red rust on stuff

Come on guys, just looking for a little help here.

I did however live in Oroville for a short while.

Not sure what your trying to accomplish, are you wanting to evenly rust something as a finish on it ?.
I worked in a large metal building that they sprayed a chemical on it that rusted it all the same color,
was told it would never rust any deeper than that. Are you wanting to rust your weapons like that ?.

In oroville we let somthing set out by the lake , takes no time at all to rust somthing, not my guns tho.

Thanks for that link Ron. I did enjoy living in Oroville for that short period of time. They really have a neat steel place that has almost any type and shape of surplus steel you could want for .50 cents a pound. I stocked up before heading off to Montana.

But guys we are still lookimg for someone to throw some numbers out there or just guestimate. Looking for a place to start here in Montana. The weather here is such in the winter that you had better have some projects saved up or you will spend too time at the local watering holes and the Deputy really doesn;t like that.

Back