Question On Buying A Horizontal Band Saw - Carolina Fab

Jeb1234

Registered
Registered
I've come across a Carolina Fab 7x14 bandsaw in clean and fairly decent shape.
The guy is asking $400 for it.
It is 110V, doesn't have a lube system and there is probably half life left in the blade.

I don't know anything about Carolina Fab.

Does anyone know if these are any account?
I was thinking about offering him $300 for it.

Remember a few years back guys would run around to garages and shops with a pickup and a press or a band saw in the back . These guys was out of south Carolina. This is what you are looking at. I would offer him the 300. The stuff wasn't top drawer, but it was useable.

I bought a used one a couple months back. Works fine after a little tinkering. Needed a good cleaning, new power cord on the motor, new belt (and spring to tighten), and a new Lenox ¾"x 115-½" bi-metal blade. Below is a copy of the manual that I found on-line. I think the saw is a little better quality than the manual. I have not fund any matching paint yet. Oh, I paid $300 for it (the guy was asking $350).

Attachments

• Carolina HD-10 Manual.pdf
    15.4 MB · Views: 9
Carolina Fab had a lot of bad reviews on a popular professional machinist site you may be familiar with.

Vlad

Thanks for the feedback guy.
Yep, I've come across a few sites that pretty much think they are junk.
I'm not expecting too much out of it. I just need something to cut some thick stock every now and then. I figure I can square it up if needed and add a coolant system.
I'm going to pick it up Friday for $300. Hopefully, it won't be money wasted.

Now if I could find a decent Kurt vise...

I have had one of these saws for 20 plus years. Replaced the motor and a new bimetal blade. If you are looking for something that is very accurate then you don't want this one, but if all you need is something to cut stock to length before machining it does the job.

Follow up - I picked up the saw yesterday and messed around with it a bit. The first things were to replace the power cord and square up the vise jaws and blade guide bearings.
The hydraulic cylinder/damper was in fairly poor shape. Re-filled the cylinder with hydraulic fluid, but the control valve doesn't offer much control in descent.
If I cut it back to a reasonable feed rate/decent rate, it will work ok for part of the way and then freeze.
I don't know if there is debris or contaminants that are clogging up the needle valve or if I left too much air in the line when I refilled the cylinder.
I flushed it once, but I'm tired tonight and will take a look at it again tomorrow.
The test cuts have been OK though. Nothing special, but on 3" round stock, I'm about .020" out of square. I can probably tweak it a little better, but for most of my needs that is fine.

How doesn't the valve offer much decent control, it just falls?

As for the reasonable rate freezing, it could be the oil is too thick to go through the restricted metering valve opening. Try auto tranny fluid, I had to do that in my engine hoist cylinder, the pump has a pathetic throw and I had to keep the handle in the 'up' position for a good bit to get enough fluid in it to make the ram move anywhere near decent.

How doesn't the valve offer much decent control, it just falls?

As for the reasonable rate freezing, it could be the oil is too thick to go through the restricted metering valve opening. Try auto tranny fluid, I had to do that in my engine hoist cylinder, the pump has a pathetic throw and I had to keep the handle in the 'up' position for a good bit to get enough fluid in it to make the ram move anywhere near decent.

My spelling is horrible. I meant to say it doesn't offer much "descent" control. When trying to adjust it for a slow descent (longer than ~ 1 minute) the saw arm will often stop dropping.

When cutting some larger items, I might need 4 or 5 minutes or longer. The valve won't do that. It acts like it is getting plugged by something.
I'm sure it can't be that hard to fix. I just need time to dig into it.

Spent today welding angle iron around the base of the legs and adding casters so I can move it around the shop and get it out of the way when not needed.

Back