Question @ Motor Shaft Pulley for Old Atlas Lathe

swirnoff

Registered
Registered
So I got a replacement motor for my 10F-V36...and I managed to mismeasure the shaft diameter on the old motor (original to 1938). That motor has a 1/2" shaft and the new one I bought has a 5/8" shaft. Here's my question. Should I try and return the motor (or resell it for way too little, I'm sure) and try and find a new one with the size shaft? Or should I drill out the hole on the pulley to 5/8" and go from there? It was surprisingly difficult for me to find a motor for a reasonable price, so I'm not sure I'm likely to find one that will go 1740 RPM around 3/4HP. Would love your thoughts.

Or, another thought...I could buy a new motor pulley. Would there be anything wrong with that? I see pulleys for an atlas 618 with the right shaft size and keyed, to boot.

New pulley is the simplest solution- even a single groove one will get you going
I see a caliper purchase in your future :cupcake:

I believe Clausing has new motor pulleys for Atlas lathes with 5/8" bores. Also, try MyMachineShop.net. Or, buy a cheap single groove pulley to run the lathe while you make yourself a new 2-step following the drawing in the downloads section here. That is what I did.

Back