Question for OZ

GK1918

Active User
Registered
First I am no clock guy, however my mother worked for a Dr. for years, he was a Lt. Col. in WWI,
and he brought back a grandfather clock for Germanys black forest. I remember he said it was old
when he got it. Works fine, gong on half and the hour. It has a stain glass door where the pend.
swings where do I even start to find what its worth. sam from taxachusetts an its killin me.

First I am no clock guy, however my mother worked for a Dr. for years, he was a Lt. Col. in WWI,
and he brought back a grandfather clock for Germanys black forest. I remember he said it was old
when he got it. Works fine, gong on half and the hour. It has a stain glass door where the pend.
swings where do I even start to find what its worth. sam from taxachusetts an its killin me.

First, try to find the make. Look on the dial. Gustav Becker, Junghans, Kienzle, were some popular makes. If you can get to the movement, try to find a maker's symbol. How many winding holes does it have in the dial? (in other words, is it time and strike or does it play music like Westminster). Then search Ebay for a similar clock. See what they are getting. Depending on make, these clocks can be worth a lot of money.

Oz

Might I suggest checking out the "Antique Road Show" on PBS website and see if they might be filming an episode near you?

Back