Question for LMS 5500 (SX2.7) owners

harrzack

Harrzack
Registered
Just got notice my 5500 is on the way - should be here (NJ) next week.

My previous mill had a 3-axis DRO. Since the 5500 has the quill "dro" built in - I'm wondering if you are finding it t be adequate... accurate, etc. Maybe I can get away with a 2-Axis DRO and save a few bux - but would NOT want to be without one - much to handy!

=A.

I have the SX3 the larger brother to the SX2.7 I find the Quill DRO to be accurate for my needs. It will easily allow me to hold 0.001" At the same time I have a 3 axis DRO. I find having the DRO on the Z axis valuable. I often need to raise/lower the Z axis beyond the range of the Quill. I try to keep the extension of the quill as short as possible, when milling, to keep things as stiff as possible. But, this also means, I may have to raise the Z axis to change tooling, and the DRO on the Z axis makes it much faster to return to my original coordinates.

Ah-ha! Figured I wouldn't get away so easily. :) In my heart of hearts I felt I should get the 3rd axis - and I see now how it can be helpful - Thanks - even if it does cost me an extra $hundred or so... :)

What DRO are you looking at? The DRO on my SX3 is a Rational Instruments WE-6800-3, with glass scales.

Back