Question "Compass"

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
Got a question Guys, does anyone make a metal compass that is graduated in thousandths. I'm looking for something I can set at say .435 then use in measuring. I don't want to have to use my calipers and kinda measure the distance on the compass opening.

Metal compass ? New to me, they make angle finders is that what it is

Like this, perhaps?

Capture digital compass.JPG

New one on me -- I didn't expect this sort of thing would be available but there you go. Wonders never cease.

-frank

Yah, Frank that is it except all metal and sturdy. I've been doing some milling of rifle magazine tube hangers out of 1.25 round steel. So say for instance I need roughly .725 for the inside hole on the hanger but it has to be offset to allow for the male dovetail. I would like something that I could set at 1/2 of the .725 and scribe on the end of the round stock to get an idea of where I need to be. I have been using a compass but it has not way to measure distance on the tool itself. I've been guestimating using my calipers to get the rough distance of the compass. You would think that they would make something like shown above except a more sturdy, all metal

Just use your calipers.

Ink up surface with a felt tip marker then use the inside measuring side as they usually ate sharp pointed and gently scribe into the ink.

We do this for most things less than 6 inches...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

One would think someone would have invented something like this a long time ago, or there was a reason they didn't. I've looked and searched everywhere. The imaging one is the only one I could find. It sure seems that when I was in grade school and using a pencil compass the cross thingy was graduated in inch markings, maybe it is I'm just getting old. I guess I will go the imaging route and get one of the alloy ones.

Last edited:
Back