Question Bridgeport series 1 2hp spindle brake

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
OK folks got the above mill. Have been noticing lately the spindle brake isn't holding as well as it used to. Taking more pressure to change collets.

So if I change the shoes in there....just how hard is it and does the head have to come off the machine and while in there is there other stuff I should be changing....doing?

I'm third owner

I am no expert, novice beginner at best. But I just finished tearing down my Series 1 Variable Speed head completely and rebuilding it. My brake shoes were in decent shape, so I didn't replace them. But the springs between them needed replacing.

To replace the shoes, I would have to do quite a bit of disassembly. The motor has to come off first and foremost. Then the upper belt housing. Once that's off, the top variable speed pulley needs to come off. Then the middle belt housing base has to come off with the splined shaft and bottom pulley. I can turn that over and there are a couple screws that hold the belt housing base to the brake bearing cap. Once those screws are out, I should be able to tap out the spindle pulley hub and get to the brake shoes.

There might be a much easier way that requires less disassembly, but I don't know what that could be.

If it were me, I would check the top bearing and the bearings on the sliding housing and brake bearing cap. They're cheap and easy to replace. I'd probably replace both belts, too. On mine, the brake bearing cap had small cracks though the threaded holes where it mounts to the middle belt housing base, so I had to replace it.

Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 2.12.25 PM.png

And if you've gone that far, might be worth replacing the grease around the bull gear. You've almost disassembled the whole thing anyway.

You can check out H&W Machine Repair and Rebuilding's YouTube channel for a bunch of videos on the Bridgeport.

I also made a series of videos on what I did to mine: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW5c7JLIWe3-1NjgH_X4M3-fWSfdIaHnO

Disclaimer: My videos are "How I did it and what happened" and not intended to be a "How to do it" series. I'd point you to H&W for that. Follow my examples at your own risk and peril. ;)

Well was sure hoping for more help and insight, but thanks mule for your help.

I'll look elsewhere

Back