Question About These New "computer Like" Welders

JR49

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
With my very old transformer type welder, if I was not going to be welding for 10-15 mins. or longer, I would shut it off (actually, not even sure if that was the right thing to do). I now have a new Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP with the fancy digital, user interface screen. When I turn it on, it acts kinda like a computer booting up. So I feel like maybe I should leave it on longer, rather than keep switching it on and off. Problem is, sometimes that 15 mins. turns into an hour or more if I'm cutting some steel that doesn't fit up right or whatever. What do you guys do ? And, for that mater, was I OK with the old welder? Thanks, JR49

I've had my Lincoln for over 20 years now. Its still transformer technology but has a digital interface, can't remember the model, 250 something. Set the process and metal thickness and it sets wire speed and voltage. It gets turned on and off as needed. For a 15 minute fit I'd leave it on, if it turned into an hour so be it. I dropped it off a set of forks, years ago, now it hums so it doesn't get left no overnight any more. Seam to be a well made welder, I've had no issues at all.

Greg

I usually leave the mig powered up if I'm doing something like drilling,cutting etc. My machine has a similar power up sequence like your Lincoln. On the Miller 350P you can hear the relay click prior to the setup sequence. Like anything else, relays and such are rated for X number of cycles for its lifespan. A modern welding machine consumes hardly no power while idling by. On the Tig, I will shut down during other prolonged tasks as the cooling pump is running when machine is on.
I will add, after heavy welding you should allow the machine to idle for some time until it cools down and NEVER shut down a machine that is actively running a thermally controlled cooling fan.
Depending on your environment, The skins should be removed once or twice a year and blow out the dust with regulated air pressure. I use this time to clean and put a coat of wax on the painted skins. A well kept machine will give you reliable service and when the time comes to upgrade a clean machine will bring in better resale value.
Please ensure your machine is unplugged when your inside the machine. Not to insult your intelligence, but have seen too many bad thing happen.

That sure sounds like a looooong time to wait to use the machine each time you turn it off? I'd check with the dealer, doesn't sound right to me.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

I totally agree with firestopper! My toys stay powered up from the time I begin working until I am done cleaning up.

Hey firestopper....a coat of wax on a welder? Seriousely? Just kidding......I do the exact same thing and wipe them down with Harley Spray Cleaner and Polish periodically. You are absolutely right! When it comes time to sell, nobody has ever balked about the price because my equipment looks new.

I don't see the reason to shut it off

Do you think you are saving power ?

If you're not burning rod; it's not using power.

I turn it on and let it run.
Let the fan do it's job and let it be ready for me when I want it.

I leave my inverter welder powered up to keep the cooling fan running, not that I relay ever notice much heat coming out of the cooling vent, they should use very little power in not welding state. If I'm going to walk away from it for any amount of time I tend to unplug the stinger and ground clamp from the extension lead's.

I tend to leave it running for about 10-15 mins after I finnish to get rid of any heat that may have built up (probably over cautious but it is a budget model). I'm sure when I first had it the fan turned on and off but it just seems to run all the time now, humm. :)

Stuart

I've been turning mine off and on for 20 some years just because I like the quiet. That said no high tech electronics, and it's a 250 amp machine that rarely gets used anywhere near it's power limits of 60% @ 250 amp. Also generally let it run 5-10 minutes after use. Mike

Hey Guys, I am cheap---but not that cheap! Wasn't worried about the energy waist, but the fan is pretty loud, but based on these comments (thanks btw.) I think I'll start leaving it on a lot more. Maybe not for multiple hours of non use, but surely between fit ups and things like that. Many thanks, JR49

I have a Miller 456 Invision which is a big inverter MIG and I think the last time I looked at the specs they said that it uses about 40 watts of power when not in use but switched on. The fan doesn't come on unless I have been welding at least 350A for a long time, so every now and then I have accidently left it running all night as I have fogotten to switch it off due to it being silent, however when I weld it stays on till the job is finished, as 40w is not going to bankrupt me as I have a 5kw of solar power connected and I mainly weld during daylight hours.

The Everlast TIG 256P I have is another story, it also is an inverter but the fan is loud and runs constantly, plus with the addition of the noise from the water cooler pump, as soon as the TIG has cooled down for a few minutes and if there is not going to be any welding for 15-20 minutes then both get shut down so I can get some peace and quiet whilst working in between welds.

Back