Question About The G0704 Capabilities

Gary Gill

Registered
Registered
I am looking to purchase a mill drill. Having had a couple of small mills I want to be sure I can mill steel such as 4140 pre-hard or similar. My project list includes a single shot rifle action. What might be the appropriate diameter end mill? 1/4" or 3/8"? I like the idea of buying the G0759 since it is a G0704 with DRO factory installed. Thanks

Should I consider the G0795 or PM727?

Last edited:
Send me some 4140 stock and ill let you know how my g0704 handles it :)

I am looking to purchase a mill drill. Having had a couple of small mills I want to be sure I can mill steel such as 4140 pre-hard or similar. My project list includes a single shot rifle action. What might be the appropriate diameter end mill? 1/4" or 3/8"? I like the idea of buying the G0759 since it is a G0704 with DRO factory installed. Thanks

Should I consider the G0795 or PM727?

I had a PM25 which is basically the same mill and milled pretty much everything on it, including stainless and titanium. As long as you are willing to remain patient and take smaller cuts. For 'hogging' operations I used USA made 3/8" course and fine roughers to reduce the stresses on the machine. When using regular end mills I typically used 1/4" or smaller. Most of my work on that mill centered around 1911 and 2011 pistols, and some revolver work. Nothing big.

As for the bigger machines you mentioned, Given everything else being equal, more mass/rigidity is always better. I personally ended up upgrading from the PM25 to the largest bench mill I could find at that time, and then later moved on to a small knee mill. It's all personal preference when it comes to this stuff, so it just depends on what you are comfortable with size/space/funds wise. :)

I had a PM25 which is basically the same mill and milled pretty much everything on it, including stainless and titanium. As long as you are willing to remain patient and take smaller cuts. For 'hogging' operations I used USA made 3/8" course and fine roughers to reduce the stresses on the machine. When using regular end mills I typically used 1/4" or smaller. Most of my work on that mill centered around 1911 and 2011 pistols, and some revolver work. Nothing big.

As for the bigger machines you mentioned, Given everything else being equal, more mass/rigidity is always better. I personally ended up upgrading from the PM25 to the largest bench mill I could find at that time, and then later moved on to a small knee mill. It's all personal preference when it comes to this stuff, so it just depends on what you are comfortable with size/space/funds wise. :)
Wrmiller: Cut any novaks in with her? I've got some 4 flute carbide dovetail cutters and may have a lead on a 6 flute rear and 5 flute front. I'm curious if they will help. Ive cut all my dovetails in the past on my buddies knee mill. Not of the 704 yet. I always hog the the majority with a 1/4 endmill before making the one pass.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes, I've done novaks. I prefer dovetailed front sights and recessed Bo-Mar rears on my competition guns that don't use optics. I've done these milling operations on a LMS mini-mill as well as the PM25. Just had to take smaller bites. :)

What is the wait tome on a 727 ? was thinking of calling so I could see if I stand a chance of getting the cash togather.

Back