Question about T Slot hardware

Dgleavitt

Registered
Registered
I was just given an Atlas mill and after I clean it up I wanted to make some T nuts(I’m cheap so not buying a set) and I noticed I had two of these cast t nut bolts(?) that came with the mill. Are they OK to use in the t slots until I make a few with a little more surface area? See below for the cast bolt.

D760A5DC-D9A1-4A2A-B24E-4BEA91362367.jpeg

Absolutely! Those are probably old Armstrong or J H Williams brand Tee bolts. You may find one or two here and there as new old stock or used. I don't think they are made anymore.

Another thing you can us is square headed bolts. You just have to turn down the top of the bolt.

I know you said you want to make them but they are cheaper than you may think.

I just bought 8 today to fit a 5/8" slot and they cost $3.17 each from McMaster plus shipping. I was quite surprised and had expected to pay more. I bought some other hardware with them but I am betting the shipping is 6 or 7 bucks for the whole lot based on my bi monthly purchases from McMaster.

Yes. Absolutely make T nuts and T bolts. For T nuts, make sure you incorporate a thread stop so you reduce the risk of damaging the table. For regular T nuts, just go buy some, but I like to make up dedicated hold downs for common tooling. I also find it useful to have some full depth T nuts to get more thread when using standard bolts to hold stuff down (regular T nuts don't usually use the full depth of the slot). Also, it is handy to have a few T nuts that have smaller threads.

The idea is to develop lots of options for securing items to the table. A regular hold down kit is a good start, but add to it.

Back