Question About Measuring Inside Taper...

tractorman44

Registered
Registered
Recently I acquired an extremely old Ames lathe manufactured in Chicopee Massachusetts. If possible, I would like a suggestion on how to determine the taper in the tail stock....or maybe someone just knows that info offhand. A #2 MT slips in and is floppy and a #3 MT won't even start to go in the bore. If it's not a standard taper, how would a person go about the business of finding a live center to fit ?
This is the problem with having the least bit of floor space not covered in machinery or projects....you always seem to find a machine to just fit the available space.

I'm still not sure if I really want to keep it or not.....It shows its age, but man its a cool machine.

Find two ball bearings that will fit the taper, one smaller than the other. Push one in and depth mic to it, and repeat with the other. Do the math and you should be able to find the taper in the MH.

Will do as suggested. Thank you fellows. Input is appreciated and I bookmarked the taper chart. Awesome !!

You could also use a test indicator if theres room. Touch off and zero it. Run the carriage exactly 1in. What ever it reads is you side opposite and the 1in is your hypotenuse. Then trig

Find two ball bearings that will fit the taper, one smaller than the other. Push one in and depth mic to it, and repeat with the other. Do the math and you should be able to find the taper in the MH.

It would be pretty hard getting a reference point off of a ball bearing. You might want to try a couple of steel balls instead…Good Luck, Dave.

Dave, a ball bearing is also defined as a single round hard precision ball. Which is of course what I was recommending. I keep quite a few on hand of various sizes for many reasons. There are many uses for them.

Thanks for clarifying that for us.

Back