Question about Cut-Off Saws with 10 Hp motor

Silverbullet, the main problem with slow cold cut chop saw is how expansive and how hard are the blades to find, as for the hardening, i know what you mean, most of the small round stock i'm buying the steel place that uses cut off chop saw, but my lathe has no trouble cutting it.

Are you planning on a Belt drive or direct drive ? , motor rpm ? Wheel rpm ?

The plan is to use single 1/2" belt and for rpm i'm planning around 3000 rpm, maybe 3500 rpm at the cutting stone.

The plan is to use single 1/2" belt and for rpm i'm planning around 3000 rpm, maybe 3500 rpm at the cutting stone.
IMHO, I don't think a single ½" belt can effectively transfer 10 hp. That being said, I doubt the saw will require that much power.

There are plenty of belt drive calculators on line (one used to have to go through the charts in the big Browning data book) - belt section, sheave size, rpm ---> HP.
One may be able to get a guess on the HP required by looking at the specs for various machines on line. The Kalamazoo 14" K12 is 5 HP, their 20" is 15 HP .

I did just that, and with the pulley on the motor calculated i need a 55-60mm pulley at the cutting wheel and the reason why i'm using undersized belt is sort of cheap security in case the cutting wheel gets stuck it will spin the belt won't shatter the wheel.

I have a Kalamazoo 14" chop saw with a 5 hp motor, I was going to build one like you but then I found one for $350

Cooter Brown, i totally agree if i could find a cheap usable machine i would just buy one, but i'm not in the US, where i live we do not have older machines just laying around and our incomes are much lower than there, the saw you've mentioned is exactly what i make in a month.

It would be a very easy machine to build. Do you want some pictures or dimensions?

The extra HP could come in useful. You could use one of the harder "big boy" wheels instead of the home improvement wheels. One of my friends put such a wheel in his Milwaukee chop saw and tried to cut a 2" diameter 4140 PH round. It took almost 2 hours and countless breaker resets. It took less than an hour with a hand hacksaw. With a 7.5 HP 3 phase "real" chop saw, that cut would be finished in about a minute. Lots of sparks, though.

Back