Question about Cut-Off Saws with 10 Hp motor

I apologise for being absent for so long from this thread but i've been very busy with every day stuff, in the meanwhile, i've bought and gathered materials for the table for this project, i bought 80 x 54 x 7 millimeters piece of diamond plate which i plan to use with the smooth side up for the work table of the cut off saw, then i bought couple of square tubing to use for reinforcement, i also managed to clean off the workbench and thru the week when i have time i'll be working on it.
DSC_0012.JPG

Of course not as satisfying as building your own, but I opted to buy the Rage 3 compound miter sliding saw for about $350

Evolution Power Tools RAGE3 10-Inch Multipurpose Cutting Compound Sliding Miter Saw - - Amazon.com 2

Over the week i did managed to find time and cut the tubing for the frame, then i grind down the welds, i also ground down the diamond plate flat, then clean up the rust with wire brush, then i clamp down the frame to the plate and started welding it, thru the week i'll try and finish welding it and find some tubing for the legs.
DSC_0037.JPGDSC_0038.JPGDSC_0041.JPGDSC_0044.JPG

Over the week i did managed to finish welding the saw table top, next i need to find tubing for the legs, i have some big diameter thin wall round tubing and some thick wall small diameter round tubing, but for this application i'm thinking larger diameter will make it more rigid and is heavy enough.
DSC_0007.JPG

You ground the diamond plate flat ? ,wow

I wanted the tubing to lay flat also my mig welder isn't the strongest machine out there and the 7 mm plate needs a lot of amperage to melt properly, this gave me the best chance for a good weld, i plan to weld two more tubes in the middle, for those i don't plan to ground the diamond plate flat.

With 10hp you could go to a larger cutting stone?

Abrasive saws have their place, and that will always be useful.

I have a 7x12 bandsaw, a HD power hacksaw and an abrasive saw - all get used as each seems to work best for certain applications.

You may wish to recheck your motor current draw (6 amps vs 18 amps) - what it says on the nameplate is what it draws from the line when at full load.

Keep the pictures coming.

With 10hp you could go to a larger cutting stone?

Yes with that power i can use much larger stone, i'm planning this saw so i can use from 9" to 16" stones, most common size is 14" but may make two guards one for use with smaller 9" cut off wheel, because i can use much thinner 1,8mm wheel.

Have you taken into consideration that abrasive chop saws will and do change the metals you chop. With the heat produced many if not most the structure is changed it will harden at times up to two inches or more of the steel when cut. It'll be tuff on your machining , why not make it a slow cold cut chop saw using carbide blades. Then on tool steels with coolant it will resist the hardening affects of abrasives. The saws the same just much slower to the blade . Just my thoughts on this as I've gone through the problem.

Back