Question about Cut-Off Saws with 10 Hp motor

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I've been looking for a good and affordable saw, right now i only have an 4" angle grinder, looked at band saws, very expensive, looked at electric hacksaws all are worn out broken and not functional, than a friend suggested build your self an beast of an chop saw, at first i thought no way i have already couple of projects but after looking i shows that ones selling most of them are home made and are 10 times the price of the parts, so aside all other projects i'll be starting a 14" Cut-Off Saw, for the base and drive i have it all figured out, but i'll like some advice for the hold down vice, i need to be able to turn so i can cut pieces at an angle, to give you all idea i've attached a picture what it will look like.
k12ss.jpg

Yes, Randy but the weight is too much to swing around without any slop in the turning point, the motor i have is cast iron it weighs more than 110 lbs add to that and the spindle, cutting stone, guard, too much weight too attached at an single point.

Just depends on how you design the pivot, a thrust bearing and couple of ball bearings, or maybe some cam follower or track bearings. You have a lot of options at this point. Good luck, I will keep tabs on your build. I really like your drill press build. Keep the projects coming, it is greatly appreciated.

Should be more than enough, here in europe we are not limited by the power company and i have 380v three phase, at that power level i don't expect the stone to even slow down on solid pieces

10hp for a typical 14" cut off? WAY overkill, will need heavy wiring and circuit, not to mention motor weight will be a factor.....using a counter weight?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

i'll take a stab at explanation of how to mount the vise and use it to cut angles.
the vise jaws will need to be mounted on a plate.
the fixed jaw (rear jaw) of the vise will need to have a single swivel point in the center of the jaw .
you'll find a convenient place to drill a secondary hole in the rear jaw to accept a pin.
you can lay out the common angles on the mounting plate, and drill more secondary holes to insert the pin into.
that will give swivel to the rear jaw and locking capabilities.

for the movable (front jaw) will need to swivel too, or you'll may wish to add that feature into the design considerations

here is what i'm trying to describe in a thread i made earlier on the repair of a powerhacksaw
there are pictures of the jet vise, maybe the ideas will inspire other ideas for you.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/twin-carbon-arc-torch.15015/

Last edited:
10hp for a typical 14" cut off? WAY overkill, will need heavy wiring and circuit, not to mention motor weight will be a factor.....using a counter weight?
WAY overkill is good when it comes to workhorse machinery, the motor is going to be used as a counter weight, as for the wiring that is the beauty of 380v because of the higher voltage it only needs 18 apms divide that by three phases only 6 amps per phase, i can use standard 5 wire cable no problem, in fact the cable and switch i used to test the motor is quite thin but rated for 10 kw, here is the motor i'm planning to use, it's an oldie but a good one real industrial motor.
DSC_0002.JPG

Back