Question About Atlas Mills

If I had the room I could get a functional bridgeport for nearly the same price range but I don't so these are my compromises. I will say I'm just not familiar with what's out there to know what else to look for, this is what I've seen come up near my area in my price range.

I know the atlas won't be ideal for drilling but figured for bigger less precise holes I drill it would still likely work ok. Didn't think about cranking the table and no quil though I should have. The atlas mills I am looking at do have a power feed and that's a big plus in my decision over the grizzly.

I'm a bit concerned about cost as now I have tooling for the veritas and horizontal aspects of the mill to get.

In 1954 the Atlas milling machine sold in the Sears catalog for $390, this was the base machine with no motor or cabinet.

In today's (2016) dollar that would be equivalent to about $3452!

You really need a drill press, anyway. :)

On the subject of tooling cost, I long ago figured that I had spent more on tooling and accessories for my 3996 than I paid for the lathe brand new. I haven't really started acquiring tooling for the MFA as I don't yet have it close to running but don't expect it to be any different.

Back